Bridge Stud issue - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Bridge Stud issue

I'm installing a powerbridge in a guitar with the tune o matic style bridge. The existing studs in the guitar are the tonepros style. The studs are much too wide for the new bridge. They did include studs but they swim in the holes. I have a call into fishman but they are closed. In the meantime I figure I have 2 options.

Use some sort of adapter to go from the large thread the tonepro left behind to the smaller one and use the included studs

Drill the new (expensive!) bridge to fit the tonepro stud.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 04:41 PM

Re: Bridge Stud issue

Or the right way maybe? Half assed repairs and mods give half assed results. The bridge is a very crucial component in sustain, tone, and intonation, why do it wrong? All you will do is frustrate yourself and be full of regret.

Dowel and drill the proper holes for the new studs. Takes about 5 minutes of work, with a few hours in between for glue to dry. If you don't have a drillpress (you should) then just take it to a luthier, thats a cheap and easy job.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate your response and I am not looking to hack this job. This is for a paid customer, I typically don't deal with repairs beyond setups, basic fretwork and mainly electronics. I was mostly hoping someone made a stud that would fit in the existing thread (I have a crude gauge, I would confirm these numbers before buying anything). The male thread appears to be 5/16". The part that goes into the bridge is 1/4" (no thread). The new bridge needs a hole the size of a #8 screw (no thread). I was mostly hoping someone made a new stud that started at that 5/16" thread and ended at #8 rather than 1/4" post.

Not really knowing what material or how well the new bridge is made I think your solution will probably be the right one. I pulled the anchors out of my Les Paul very easily, these seem like they might be glued. is there any trick to getting these out?

Assuming I can get the old anchors out, does it make a big difference what the dowel is made of? In the little research I did some people said pine would be fine, lots of people suggested oak, and I also saw a lot of posts saying if you need to drill into it a plug is the only way to go. Keep in mind this is an inexpensive basswood guitar. Thanks.

Ed.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 05:51 AM

Get your studs custom made?
Leave's the body original and the proces reversable.( in case of non satisfied customer).
If you got al the measurments right a handy metal craftsmen can help you out.

Tags
fishman , tonepros

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode