Broken Post - Need Help Desperately - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

Broken Post - Need Help Desperately

Hi,
I managed to break the bottom post on my Ibanez RG520. I was trying to adjust the height and forgot to unlock the internal screw . The result of my amnesia is documented here
http://members.rediff.com/virtualme/

The guitar has been in this situation for almost an year now . The fretboard seems very dry and the chrome on the guitar is producing some white powder formation. How can I clean that up and also condition the fretboard.

Now I will be getting the replacement post from "RICH", but I need to repair this on my own and I need all the help that I can get. Any links, tutorials, precautions, etc.

THANKS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 10:37 AM
Vendor

Just pull the trem and use a pair of pliers on the stud, just try not to break it up any more.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/remove.htm
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 02:02 AM

Why is "RICH" in double quotes?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 03:09 AM

That's because he's "SPECIAL"... and Abhijeet, man, did the post get feel tighter right before it broke?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Yes it felt tight, I presumed that it was normal.

Rich, when you mean pliers do you mean I should pull it out with the pliers or do I need to move it clockwise or anti clockwise.

Thanks again for all your help.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 05:12 AM
dex

Anticlockwise slowly until it starts turning, then just unscrew it.
Do it slowly because if you have managed to get it real tight before breaking you might spin the anchor in the guitar.

ilia
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 02:26 PM
Vendor

I usually take a different aproach. I believe a quick release puts less stress on the wood than slowly applying pressure resulting in fewer spun inserts. Considerring it's in a mahogany body I would even worry about it
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 02:52 PM
dex

Rich is the qualified Ibanez guru here so I'd go with his sugestion but as he said the mahogany would hold the insert regardless of what you do.
Let us know how it goes.

ilia
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 02:54 PM
Vendor

I'm not saying my way is "right" for basswood [or anything else], that's just the aproach and mindset I take
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 06:03 PM
dex

Rich I wasn't mocking you or anything like that - on the contrary.
After 13 years of owning, playing and putting up with tuning instability (not really intolerable but not great either) on my FR guitars I learned a great deal from your setup guide so I would say you are the resident guru.
I, and am sure many more as well, trully appreciate your site and your knowledge.

Thanx man.

ilia
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 06:08 PM
Vendor

On the contrary, I didn't consider it a mock, just stating I'm not sure my way IS "right", just my minset that a quicker release stresses less
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
On the contrary, I didn't consider it a mock, just stating I'm not sure my way IS "right", just my minset that a quicker release stresses less
Think pulling a band-aid off . . . what stresses your skin more?

Slow and steady or a quick pull? :-)

I'd agree with Rich, the faster you break the tension the less likely you will spin the anchor, but again, to restate what Rich said in a different way . . . you can pretty much use a mohogany guitar to drive rail-spikes and barely hurt it. :-) Well, not really . . .

Mic

Tags
mahogany body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode