Broken & Stuck Locking Stud Post Anchor HELP! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Broken & Stuck Locking Stud Post Anchor HELP!

I have a major dilemma. My locking stud was stuck, so I tried removing the entire anchor with the stud inside using 3-in-1 oil & soldering. I normally do this no problem with a special puller tool. This one actually broke off at the head! (See photos below) Now I'm having trouble pulling out the assembly because I cannot get a good grip on the post anymore. What should I do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 08:09 PM

Reviews: 37
Re: Broken & Stuck Locking Stud Post Anchor HELP!

chuck it up in a drill press and pull it out.
if it is stuck that bad you dont want to twist it.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

I dont have access to a drill press... Any other ideas?
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 09:12 PM

I would get a tap that will screw into the stud. before you screw it into the stud tread a nut on it for a pulling point, then tap it into the broken stud as far as you can. The tap will have to be slightly smaller than what you would use for actual threads in that size hole because you are cutting into hardened steel and not trying to make treads,just get a grip on the stud. Once the tap is in to a point you feel it will hold use the nut to pull on. be careful not to side load the tap when pulling because the brittle tap will easily break off. Anyway that's what I would try.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 10:06 PM

Reviews: 18

get a pair of pliers and try to unscrew the stud
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 10:25 PM

Reviews: 2

What kind of trem is it?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

@Moonlight
Wouldn't it make more sense to get a tap that is a little larger than the diameter of the inside of the stud so I can make new threads and pull it out? I wont need the old stud anymore because its already broken. And how can I get a grip on the stud if I am using a smaller tap? Thats not making much sense to me.. please explain?

@jb4674
That was how I broke it. For some reason, the stud seems brittle - it even surprised me at first because normally these studs are very solid.

@RGTFanatic
Original Edge from a 2002 RG550
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 11:49 PM

Same thing happened to me on a jem.I put two cutting disks side by side on a dremel and made a slot for a flat head screw driver.Fortunately it worked.I taped off around the stud just in case I slipped up with the tools.It still took a fair amount of torque to break it loose and I was relieved I didn't spin the base.I also put liquid wrench in there before hand and heated it with a soldering iron.Not the safest method but it did work.Good luck.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwax1989 View Post
@RGTFanatic
OK, I know this sounds like a silly question but first things first. Did you loosen/remove the locking screw?

Also, heating the stud will make it expand........making it tighter.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

@musicdr
I really gotta invest in a dremel... lol thanks for sharing

@RGTFanatic
The set screw is stuck so thats why I tried removing the entire thing, anchor and all. I heated the stud to loosen/melt any crud that may be stuck in there
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwax1989 View Post
@Moonlight
Wouldn't it make more sense to get a tap that is a little larger than the diameter of the inside of the stud so I can make new threads and pull it out? I wont need the old stud anymore because its already broken. And how can I get a grip on the stud if I am using a smaller tap? Thats not making much sense to me.. please explain?

@jb4674
That was how I broke it. For some reason, the stud seems brittle - it even surprised me at first because normally these studs are very solid.

@RGTFanatic

What I mean is you should use a tap that is slightly smaller diameter than what you would normally be used for making the proper size treads for that size of hole but still cut treads to hold the tap in. I say this because I'm afraid the stud is hardened to the point that it will be difficult to cut treads and you don't need the full depth of normal threads. You just want to screw the tap in to get a grip on the stud and with the nut on the tap you will have a point to grip for applying some sort of puller. If you find that the stud is soft enough to cut threads you could tread it and screw in a bolt and pull on the bolt head. Don't know how well this will work but this is how I would attack the problem.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 06:52 AM

Reviews: 37

If you do get a way to turn it and it is so tight ( you will spin the anchor in the wood.)
Making it loose and not stay in tune.
Go to a machine shop and put it in a drill press and pull it out.
If you dont you will regret it.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 09:32 AM

Vice grips. Soak with WD40 first. All you need to do it get it to budge and the set screw will no longer be binding the threads.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:42 AM

I would combine Moonlight and TAR's ideas. clamp a set of needle nose vise grips on it and pull the entire anchor out of the guitar..... for obvious reasons, you don't want to spin the anchor in the hole. Pull it straight out (up) gently. I use the claw of a hammer to do this. just be sure to protect the finish with a small piece of wood.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:59 AM

I was going to suggest he twist the stud once the WD40 has a chance to act.

Tags
anchor , broken , post , stud

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode