Buckshot's Ibanez "S" Project - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Buckshot's Ibanez "S" Project

Heya,

Thought I would share my first project guitar with you guys.

I joined this site not long after picking up this guitar on that auction site. If I had of known then what I know now I would have avoided this guitar and just purchased a guitar body of ET Guitars down here in Australia as I am only an hour or so away by car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Re: Buckshot's Ibanez "S" Project

Anyway...

This poor thing started life as an Ibanez 540SLTD.

I purchased this as a project guitar but she's in far worse condition that I thought.

The neck has some major cracks in it and is unusable. It has already been heavily modified as it's been repainted after the front and middle pick up holes were filled - which is ok by me as I wanted a rear pick up only guitar anyway.

Whoever owned this guitar before me should be publicly flogged.
This instrument has been absolutely violated as a previous owner has drilled trenches in the back to relocate the jack allowing for the battery pack for an EMG pick up to be fitted.
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

After getting nowhere hand sanding for 2 hours I ducked down the local Bunnings Hardware and purchased a Black & Decker Mouse Sander.

After 15 or so minutes this was the result. The aftermarket paintjob is heaps thick and is taking forever to remove.

An hour or so later and the blue paint is all off the back. The factory paint is a lot thinner.

Halfway through clearing the blue off the front.

Last edited by Buckshot; 05-04-2010 at 08:54 AM.
post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Now the blue is all off it's time to get rid of that beautiful yellow.

And here she is completely nude.

post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Now, this is the big problem, the trench...

I've been advised by ET Guitars down here in Australia who will be painting the guitar for me to us a Selleys product called Plastibond to fill this hole along with as much wood as I can get in there.

So there it is filled in with a block of wood and a heap of Plastibond going off in the sun.

And here is the end result. Anybody who knows me knows I'm no handyman but I've really enjoyed taking my time getting this to where it is now. I've surprised a few people especially myself how much I've enjoyed this process.

The guitar and another neck which I purchased on the auction site are now in the hands of ET Guitars for painting.

I'm going for a yellow and black swirl along with matching headstock. ET have advised me it's going to be a while due to other projects in his shop but I don't mind waiting as I know from seeing his work first hand when I was in the shop last week it's gonna look fantastic once he's done with it.
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 09:40 AM

Reviews: 21

Holy crap!!! That trench is nasty!

Best of luck bud!
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 09:46 AM

Reviews: 25

oooh good luck... I love fun projects... I got 4 ongoing at the moment :P

hmmm black and yellow swirl sounds like an AFL theme to me :P oh but your not in VIC :P

good luck
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 10:15 AM

Good work. Any idea why there was a second input jack whole and a trench for that matter?
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 10:56 AM

that looked like fun I dig the look of S too. Keep posting as the project continues
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 07:47 PM

Reviews: 120

Great work sorting out that nasty trench.

I have no idea why someone would do that, even if they were installing EMGs. You should still be able to fit a battery in the cavity, without having to butcher a guitar like that.
post #11 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Great work sorting out that nasty trench.

I have no idea why someone would do that, even if they were installing EMGs. You should still be able to fit a battery in the cavity, without having to butcher a guitar like that.

I think what the guy did is decided he needed to relocate the input jack so he drilled the hole on the left, discovered that was no good and then used the same drill to drill the trench on the right. The trench was made up of a series of holes next to eachother if you know what I mean.
post #12 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 04:22 AM

Wow,i nearly bought that myself!
I only wanted the neck though,is it really not fixable?
post #13 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey j grieve View Post
Wow,i nearly bought that myself!
I only wanted the neck though,is it really not fixable?
haha really ? I should have let you have it ! But in the long it will be worth it. I really wanted that style neck as well as I love the sharks tooth inlay and don't have a guitar with that style. There are 2 huge V shaped cracks coming out of the screws at the back. If you put a little pressure on the neck with your hands the whole thing moves.

I've uploaded another photo as well to explain what that ghastly trench was for.

The whole set up was held together by sticky tape and there was also evidence of duct tape on the back of the body as well.
post #14 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 04:32 AM

Mother of mercy....Is that a completly f-cked 540S DY LTD... Imagine the back used to look like this...

My Mint 89 S540LTD DY

post #15 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Yep that's exactly how she would have started life. My main axe is an Ibanez 450S which is the only guitar I've purchased from new.

Don't get me wrong it's my most prized posession and when my time comes I wanna be cremated with it but sometimes I wish I had of waited a couple of weeks to scrape together the extra money to get a 540 like yours.

Last edited by Buckshot; 08-14-2010 at 10:58 PM.

Tags
540 , australia , e.t , project , swirl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode