Building a guitar amp. - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Building a guitar amp.

Does anybody have a link to a tutorial of some sort, telling me what parts i need to build an amp, what they all do, and instructions on how to do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 02:08 PM

Re: Building a guitar amp.

I was really about to buy my own tube amp kit, but after weeks of research, I decided that it was not worth it. Hell, I have a hard enough time wiring my guitar controls.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

i suppose, but i want to have a good understanding of amps, to see how they work, what does what, and hopfully be able to mod/build amps in the future.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 10:40 PM

Building amps is not something you can pick up quickly. Most amp builders go through electronics engineering courses of some kind, because amps are quite complex things. They are also very dangerous. If you mean tube amps, there are potentially lethal voltages involved, and there are many formulas and rules (of sorts) you need to follow if you want to create something decent. If you are really serious about this, you will need to do HEAPS of research and commit to learning a lot before you even think about building an amp.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Yeah i know its not easy, at the moment all i wanna know is what kind of components they use, and how they work, not to botherd about working them at the moment
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 10:16 PM

Try buying a few electronics or amps beginners books. I dont know if it covers basic electronics, but The Guitar Amp Handbook by David Hunter is pretty good, and has a simple amp project in it, so you can actually apply what you learn from the book.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlephil View Post
Building amps is not something you can pick up quickly. Most amp builders go through electronics engineering courses of some kind, because amps are quite complex things.
Not true. I'd say that 99% of amp builders have no engineering degree. Designers are a different story. Luckily, if all you want to do is build an amp, you don't need to worry about any math equations whatsoever. The designer has already done this for you.

Guitar amps are extremely simple circuits as far as analogue circuits go.

To the OP - have a look at the kits and forum at metroamp.com
Amps are relatively straight-forward to build, but you need to be careful as they can kill you.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 01:00 PM

Reviews: 2

Of course if you confine yourself to that just want to have a good understanding thing, you shouldn't have to worry about that they can kill you thing.

Tags
build guitar amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode