Busted Sperzel Tuner, Salvageable? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Busted Sperzel Tuner, Salvageable?

The little tab/alignment thingy busted clean off (see photo) one of my Sperzel locking tuners during installation last night. Any chance I can still use this tuner, or is it toast?

In a nutshell, the little guide holes I drilled were pretty damn tight, so pressing the tuners into place was quite a challenge, but I got all but one in. That particular one just would NOT go in, so after getting it about halfway in, I started working it back out (so that I could widen the hole a bit).

That's when the little thingy pulled right out of the tuner housing. I had to pull the tab out of the headstock with vice grips.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 04:13 PM

Re: Busted Sperzel Tuner, Salvageable?

If you can extract the busted stump of roll pin out of the housing, you could replace that with another roll pin of the same spec as original, widen your headstock hole to the right size, and go again.
A small screw extractor /might/ get a bite and get that stump moving; I think I'd actually try to get a small tap to start engaging the stump, and once it has a bite, use that as a puller to try pulling the stump straight up and out.

If you can't extract, perhaps there's a way to use a thinner solid pin tapped down into the center of the original roll pin after reinserting the large bit into the hole - the thinner solid (stainless?) pin might reinforce the original pin enough to keep it from shifting/turning in its mounting hole.

Just a couple of thoughts off the top of my head.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Re: Busted Sperzel Tuner, Salvageable?

I managed to remedy the situation.

I tapped the little roll pin back into the hole I'd pre-drilled, and it left just enough sticking up above the wood for the tuner housing to grab onto. That alone was enough to keep the tuner from moving once everything was assembled and tightened.

Works like a champ!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode