Buzz is killing me! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Buzz is killing me!

So I'm tuning a whole step down on a 7 string and getting crazy buzz. Never had this issue but this was an ebay purchase. I did notice the frets have some heavy string "scratch" (pic). This is consistent with the first 9 frets. What I'm wondering is if I need a re-fret. I've also had to raise the action a good bit but still getting buzz at the height in the pic. I don't have anything to measure with so this is the second pic.

Frets
Tremolo

Last edited by hilljack13; 04-01-2016 at 10:36 PM. Reason: pic link change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 11:11 PM

Re: Buzz is killing me!

Photos aren't working for me for some reason.

Before you consider the nuclear option (refret), take it to a good tech / luthier / repairman and see what's actually going on first. It's possible the guitar just needs a good setup or, worst case, a fret level/crown (which is less invasive than a full refret).
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Think I got the pic link working...this site is unreal with posting pics. I think I'll end up having to take it out like you say.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 07:24 AM

Did you adjust neck tension? If you drop whole step you could need neck relief and tremolo springs correction.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peromucho7 View Post
Did you adjust neck tension? If you drop whole step you could need neck relief and tremolo springs correction.
I made a small adjustment during setup, I know it needs more as there is barely any bow. I just didn't want to do too much on the neck yet but I already know it needs another 1/4 turn or so.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 08:11 PM

First issue I see is your Lo Pro is adjusted completely wrong. It's tilted WAY back. I've gotten my guitar back from techs like this a couple times, and I want to punch them (and I'm not a violent guy).

Check this out: http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/angle.htm#ED

Your trem is the Lo Pro. With the Lo Pro, you are NOT supposed to align the top of the trem parallel with the body. Instead, you use the little rectangle thingy to align the trem, and when done properly the top of the trem actually looks tilted forward (check out that guide for the proper angle).

I'm actually not concerned about those frets. They're not ideal, but I've seen that before and usually it can just be lightly sanded/buffed out (not "sanding" as in removing metal... just a good buffing). Could be causing he buzz, but I doubt it. First thing's first: get the guitar set up properly, THEN diagnose any remaining buzz. I'm willing to bet that a proper setup will do wonders.

Now, the trick is finding a tech who understands how to set up that Lo Pro. No small task (in my experience). Wish I could do it for you.

Last edited by webmaestro; 03-28-2016 at 08:26 PM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Ahh...I read through the setup a few times and somehow thought the trem was parallel. Took me a min to figure it out. I wondered about it because a few years ago I had the same guitar and remember the trem tilting. I did take the neck off to clean it up and did a complete disassemble of the trem to clean it as well. The pic looks ok but the saddles look like they've been in a fire. I only know of one shop in town so I'll have to ask around for recommendations.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
I did notice the frets have some heavy string "scratch" (pic). This is consistent with the first 9 frets. What I'm wondering is if I need a re-fret.
No you don't need a refret because of fret scratches. Someone did a fret level and didn't polish the frets properly. I would use 320 grit sandpaper, 400, 600, 800 and then finish up using 0000 steel wool. optionally use some rubbing compound at the end. they will shine up nicely and no more scratches

Quote:
hisI've also had to raise the action a good bit but still getting buzz at the height in the pic. I don't have anything to measure with so this is the second pic.
Take the bridge out and use a level to check to see if the neck is straight. if there is too big of a bow you may need to tighten the truss rod. don't over tighten the truss rod. if the rod is all the way tight and there's still a bow your neck could be bent. there's a fix for that too, but won't go there unless you say that's the issue. also make sure the frets are level by using a fret rocker or any straight edge really like a credit card. i'm guessing they are given all scratches seems someone may have done a fret level. anyway, if you have high frets that could too be causing buzzing.

assuming you made necessary truss rod adjustments, the neck is straight and frets are level...put the bridge and restring. adjust the spring tension to make the bridge straight. set the bridge height to where you want it.

one other thing you could check before putting strings on etc, check to make sure the neck is sitting in the pocket straight. if not you might need to shim either there or under the nut if the buzzing is on the first few frets
just a few things to check. good luck

Last edited by pwsusi; 03-29-2016 at 07:06 AM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwsusi View Post
Take the bridge out and use a level to check to see if the neck is straight.
You can do this without touching the bridge (definitely no need to remove it).

A straightedge (preferably a precision one made for this task) and some feeler gauges are all that's needed to check relief (or lack thereof). You can also just use the strings themselves as a straightedge, with a capo at the 1st fret.

But, I don't recommend anyone attempt any of this if they don't really know how to do a setup. Not because they'll break anything, but because it can feel like an extremely frustrating game of whack-a-mole for someone who isn't good at setting up their guitar.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

I went back and reset the trem so the small block indicator was level, had to make a half turn on the truss rod and it is much better. I'm only getting minor buzz on the low A now about halfway down the neck.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilljack13 View Post
I went back and reset the trem so the small block indicator was level, had to make a half turn on the truss rod and it is much better. I'm only getting minor buzz on the low A now about halfway down the neck.
Great, sounds like you're getting there!
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 01:45 AM

how straight is the neck? you want it straight but back'd off a hair so its bowed a bit well atleast thats how i like it (back bow)
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 07:46 AM

check the neck bow
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartvader View Post
how straight is the neck? you want it straight but back'd off a hair so its bowed a bit well atleast thats how i like it (back bow)
^ This too

Usually don't want a dead flat neck--as it can result in buzz. So yeah, if you've got it dead-flat, then turn the truss about 1/8 turn counter-clockwise.

Unless, of course, you're happy with how it's sounding & playing now. Then, maybe best to leave it where it is
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaestro View Post
^ This too

Usually don't want a dead flat neck--as it can result in buzz. So yeah, if you've got it dead-flat, then turn the truss about 1/8 turn counter-clockwise.

Unless, of course, you're happy with how it's sounding & playing now. Then, maybe best to leave it where it is
Only way I have to check how straight the neck is by eyeball. I have an old metal ruler somewhere but I can't find it. When I look I can tell there is a bit of back bow but not much. If I make any other changes I might go an extra 1/8 turn but that's about it. Out of the amp its all good so I might just let her be.

Tags
buzz , fret

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode