buzz on the low E ONLY on my RG3120, help! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

buzz on the low E ONLY on my RG3120, help!

hey guys!
recently scored a BEAUTIFUL RG3120! I'm in love. Plays great and sounds amazing, except for the buzzing i'm getting on my low E. I typically set my guitars up with 9-42, low action, and a nearly straight neck. I have a light touch with both hands, and i like a little bit of "zing" when i hit the strings hard. But on the low E (and just the low E), i'm getting more of a "squelch" kind of sound, if that makes sense! Too much buzz that can clearly be heard through the amp.

The frets have practically zero wear on them, and its a new set of strings. i've tried adding more relief to the neck, and it doesn't really help much; maybe a little, but at the expense of making it uncomfy to play. Its not nut height, as the open E doesn't buzz.

I am looking at the neck where it joins the body, and it appears that it might have a decently big shim at the very back of the pocket (haven't taken the neck off to check yet). The 24th fret is definitely more high off of the face of the body than the 17th is. I'm thinking it may be at too sharp of an angle, causing the low E string (which is of course fatter than the other strings) to strike some high frets when it is fully vibrating.

Does that make sense to you guys? Should removing the shim or adding a similarly sized shim to the front of the pocket help?

Thanks chums!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 01:44 AM

Re: buzz on the low E ONLY on my RG3120, help!

the neck shim could be the issue. Is there any one place on the neck the buzz sounds worse or sounds like the same note? On rare occasion a high fret in the upper(13-24) will buzz when fretting a lower note 1-12 on the same string.

If you have a hard small straight edge try rocking the frets to make sure one isn't a little high.

Tags
rg3120

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode