Buzz!! low E string on first 3 frets! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Buzz!! low E string on first 3 frets!

ok... i can't figure out why the low E string has a little buzz on the first 3 frets. other strings have no problem...
i brought it to a guitar tech and he said to solve this completely i have to paid US$110 to refret or something like that. hell no i'm not gonna pay that much... i think there must be some problem with the setup or something, not so worse that i have to refret....
i know nothing about setup.... so... plz help! thanks!
oh... forgot to mention, the guitar is a new 2003 PGM300 with maple neck, AANJ, never did a setup with it, straight out of the box factory setup, action is low
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 04:08 AM

you can slightly file down the 4th fret just under the low-E, but just a tad. this may sound a bit drastic, but that's what i do in these cases, and it works great.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 11:46 AM

"First three frets" could be two things. As Nuno said, it could be a high 4th fret. If it's only on the E string, it's probably because the end of that fret has lifted from the fret slot a little. That's an easy fix for that guitar tech. Take a little of the thin superglue, slip it under there, and hold the fret end down until its dry. Springy fret ends are common.

The other cause is a slight backbow that can be relieved by loosening the truss rod a little. If that's what it is, usually you'll hear it on the other strings. But it could be just apparent on the E, if the neck pulls back that way, or because the low E produces the loudest "buzz" by nature.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Banned

thanks for the replies!
i think it's the 2nd case... coz I tried every string on every fret and found out that there are some buzz on other strings too, but not as bas as the low E. (other string buzz on random frets... not first 3 frets)??!
i'm no expert and i don't want to mess up the guitar... i want to have a tech to solve it for me but he charges me A LOT. i think i have to find someone who can solve this for me and charge me a resonable price...
any experts live in Los Angeles and willing to solve this for me?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 02:52 AM

to bring the guitar to a tech is a good idea overall, BUT: are you really sure you want to spend that much just to have someone turning a bolt that won't harm ANYTHING at all if you do it by yourself?

ok, you're not expert, but trust me, no need experience to give a bolt 1/4 turn counter-clockwise. trust me Ibanezer, it's easier than you could ever think. many of us do that any time it's needed, and we can tell you there's nothing dangerous for your guitar, and nothing tricky for you.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 11:11 AM

a friend of mine once broke the truss rod in his us-std-strat...

be sure to turn only about 1/4 turn, as stated above... don't exaggerate the turning like my friend did :P
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saTa
a friend of mine once broke the truss rod in his us-std-strat...

be sure to turn only about 1/4 turn, as stated above... don't exaggerate the turning like my friend did :P
It should also be stated that if the truss-rod is hard to turn, STOP! DO NOT force it, take it to a tech and let him/her look at it as this could be a serious problem.

If it's a brand new guitar and the truss-rod is so stiff that you feel you have to force it in either direction, again, STOP and bring it back where you bought it.

Mic
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 12:47 PM
Vendor

A rod that's way too tight can take alot of force to loosen, there's just no avoiding it. A tech isn't going to do anything different than you are, loosen it. Just make sure the pressure used is smooth and even
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 01:45 PM

Yeah, you can use whatever torque is needed to loosen a truss rod, but the tightening force should be limited. In your case you'll be loosening. The only time loosening the rod can become "too tight" is in a two-way truss rod, which Ibanez does not use. Most companies don't. I think Carvin might, and the Stew Mac "hot rod" truss rod is an example of one.

As a side note, it's easier to strip a truss rod nut than to break the actual rod. Anyone who breaks a truss rod could probably use an anger management class Don't adjust your truss rod if your mom just grounded you.

And this is a little off topic, but it is much safer to tighten a truss rod while the strings are slacked. That way, the rod is just working against the wood in "standing mode", not having to also counteract 100lbs of string tension. On trem guitars I will sometimes take the springs off.

I also like to drop a little oil in there. Sometimes I remove the nut, clean with a toothbrush, and oil it before I put it back. If the threads are gritty/corroded they are more likely to strip.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 04:16 PM

As usual I wasn't as clear on my point as I could/should be.

I meant if it's really tight already and you're trying to reduce relief (straighten the neck), not if it's tight and you want more relief.

My bad.

Just started the most boring job in the world and I'm still a little punchy. :P

Mic

Tags
guitar tech , maple neck , string tension , trem guitar , truss rod , truss rod nut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode