buzz problems - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

buzz problems

Hi. I've just purchased an Ibanez RG1570 and i'm having problems setting it up. I just put some new strings on (9's) and tried to lower the action but the strings were buzzing round the 12th fret. I loosened the truss rod slightly and have raised the action but now it is quite high and i still have a buzz on the 12th fret of the B string. I can't take the action any higher or else i won't be able to play it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 11:23 AM
Vendor

Take a short straight edge that covers at least between the 11th and 13th and see if it'll rock on 12.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

I think I may need to shim the neck after reading many posts on this forum. Is it necessary to take the tremolo system out just to shim the neck?

Also what about the shims under the nut, are they necessary to keep in as I have noticed the first fret is a little higher than on my Jackson.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 02:48 PM

A neck shim WILL NOT help with fret buzz. A shim is only needed if you can't set the action as low (or high) as you like it within the travel of the bridge studs.

Follow the setup instructions on Rich's site, if you like really low action (less than about 2 mm) you'll have to make the neck a little straighter than Rich suggests for a "normal" setup.

Remember, about 2 mm is as low as can be exected with no, or little, buzzing. Lower than that and even an almost perfect fret level is going to buzz in some areas of the neck, if not the WHOLE neck.
Some buzzing is unavoidable, it's wood, it changes with weather/time, that's why every guitar isn't able to be set up exactly the same to begin with.

As far as nut hight . . . what I do is press the string right in front of the 2nd fret, there should be just enough space between the string and the first fret so that it's not touching. This will USUALLY give you the proper clearance for no buzzing on the open string and easy action.

All guitars are different though, so basic rule of thumb is this, the nut can be as low as possible just so long as it doesn't buzz when you play the open string.

Usually Ibanez guitars are shipped with too high a nut, but they are usually shimmed, so you can just take shims out.

No, you don't have to remove the bridge to remove the shims . . . again, go to Rich's site, it's all there, I'm not going to type again what Rich has already spent so much time typing out for you/us. :-)

Mic
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. I have all the info I need to set this beautiful guitar up now. You people are too helpul and shall be rewarded in Heaven.

Tags
beautiful guitar , fret buzz , fret level , ibanez guitars , neck shim , tremolo system , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode