Buzzing *at* nut on RG1527???? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

Buzzing *at* nut on RG1527????

Hi!

I've got a 2004 Cosmic 'Blue' RG1527 and it's been great for me up until recently when the low E has developed a rather annoying buzz at the nut. Only buzzes when played open BUT the string doesn't see to be very close to the first fret, it happens even when picked lightly. The low B is fine though. I've changed strings and gauges several times too. Also tried swapping and rotating the pressure pads, and raising the action but no luck so far.

Could it be that the slot in the nut has somehow worn down and it's vibrating against the pad or other parts of the nut? Or there's some other funny business going on? I've tried searching but no luck on this problem.

Cheers

Glenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 08:25 AM

Re: Buzzing *at* nut on RG1527????

I'd make sure all the nut screws and the string tree screws etc up there is tight. nothing should be able to vibrate freely up there
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Good idea... I've stumbled into something now... Although I've never tightened the nut screws before, it seems like the thread in the wood is stripped. The one on the left especially because it keeps turning without seeming to do much.

On the other hand, the vibration/buzz has that distinct sound that you get when the string is just touching something. It's definitely not any sort of resonance.

Quite a mystery...
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 10:21 AM

I had something like this when I bought a very used guitar (coincidentally, also a 1527RB... an '06). I could NOT isolate the source of the buzzing, but like you it seemed to be coming from the nut itself--not from the frets. I don't remember exactly, but it was one of the inner 5 strings. Everything seemed fine... mounting screws were tight, nut was secure, etc. The nut was exceptionally worn and beat up though... and someone had taken a Dremel to one of the pressure pads at some point.

So, I finally just ordered a whole new nut from Rich, and that buzzing disappeared. It was the wrong color, because cosmo has been discontinued, but it solved the problem.

To this day, I believe the "V" groove (where the string comes off the nut on the fret side) was somehow worn and causing the buzz, but I really don't know for sure.

Last edited by webmaestro; 06-11-2013 at 11:36 AM. Reason: fixed typos
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 11:28 AM

I wonder if the string wasn't tight against the bottom of the V slot for some reason.. I have actually cut a groove with my dremel to extend that V all the way to the back of the nut on 1 of my ibbys. Its got a fixed bridge so I don't need the locking nuts anymore but I like how it turned out, and it stopped the buzz I had and I think it has better string contact now.. but of course this is not what most ppl would do.

Last edited by GUITARMAGEDDON; 06-11-2013 at 12:06 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 11:49 AM

Could the neck have moved a little with the change of the seasons?
Maybe a slight truss rod or bridge height adjustment is in order???
Also check the 1st – 5th frets, one of them may be coming out of the slot just a bit making the string touch it a little.
Check the nuts on the tuners and the string tree.
If the lock nut is not tightening down against the neck, one of the shims under it could be making noise too???
Make sure the strings are in the lock blocks on the trem correctly.
Some people feed the strings in from the tuners and leave the balls on the end of the string, they rattle in many cases.
Good Luck with the hunt!

Tags
rg1527 nut buzz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode