Calling Electrical Engineers! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 12
...or any amp techy really.

Went to a local shop last week and played a head there. Sounded great. This week I went to play it again and it didn't work. So I figured i'd be nice and do some trouble shooting as well as let the owner know...I figured it was just some guy (who knew nothing about amps) managed to blow a fuse...well.

Blown HT fuse, so the owner replaced the fuse with I don't know what size fuse. So we plug it back up and the amp comes on and produces sound but tubes get theeerrrmite glowing hot in about 20 seconds. I've no idea whether that means he used a wrong fuse or there's something wrong with the transformers? That's where hopefully you guys can help.

I should make a note that with the blown fuse in, the tubes warmed up just fine but produced no sound (obviously due to the blown fuse).

EDIT: HT stands for high tension (voltage). Apparently it's the fuse that protects the tubes when the 'standby' switch is set to 'on' so there must be a problem when that switch is flipped.

Last edited by GroovyTubes; 09-14-2011 at 01:28 AM. Reason: clarity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 12:40 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64
Re: Calling Electrical Engineers!

I'm not an electrical engineer but I think when a fuse is blown, NOTHING should work inside of it cause it's like cutting one side of the power line.
That's the reason for having a fuse, to prevent bigger damage before fixing whatever problem it has.
A blown fuse will not allow you to turn it on till you fix the problem that blowed it.
The same way in our houses etc.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 01:02 AM

Reviews: 11

heh... sounds like what happened to my crate amp.... Its completely toast now... be careful

Theres too many reasons that can blow a fuse. Did it shriek at all?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 01:16 AM

This very account that I've ben using belongs to an electric engineer who rarely posts on Jemsite and allowed me to use it for a while. I'll see if he can help you out.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
NOTHING should work inside of it cause it's like cutting one side of the power line.
Actually, that's why this one has 2. One of them is for the main power, one is what's called an HT fuse..other than the fact that it stands for High tension, I don't know what it does..but nevertheless the tubes still got power from the Mains fuse. Im guessing the HT fuse is between the tubes and the output transformer or something of that nature.

Linux, that's unfortunate mate! Sorry to hear about that.
He said he's gonna get a local amp tech to fix it. Amidst the 20 seconds of it working it was verrryyyy noisy. Probably because the tubes were on FIRE lol
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 01:27 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

It depends on what happened AFTER the original fuse was blown. How long was the amp still plugged in after it blew? Also--if it's the wrong fuse (which sounds very much the case), then the output tranny is overheating. Make sure to get the right fuse in there ASAP and try again.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
It depends on what happened AFTER the original fuse was blown. How long was the amp still plugged in after it blew? Also--if it's the wrong fuse (which sounds very much the case), then the output tranny is overheating. Make sure to get the right fuse in there ASAP and try again.
I've no idea how long it was plugged in since the fuse blew. It was at his shop so some guy must have turned it off relatively shortly after realizing it didn't work.

I politely suggested to the owner to check the fuse he put in it (I didn't want to insult his intelligence) but that's when he said he'd just send it to an amp tech.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 01:42 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovyTubes View Post
I've no idea how long it was plugged in since the fuse blew. It was at his shop so some guy must have turned it off relatively shortly after realizing it didn't work.

I politely suggested to the owner to check the fuse he put in it (I didn't want to insult his intelligence) but that's when he said he'd just send it to an amp tech.
He's lucky he didn't get any smoke, fizzing, or loud pops like when I blew my Legacy last month...

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
He's lucky he didn't get any smoke, fizzing, or loud pops like when I blew my Legacy last month...
Indeed he is. like i said those tubes were SMOKING.
It's a shame when a good amp goes like that

but luckily this one should be fixable! Good thing, because if it is then I will be looking to buy it...at the right price now that its had some damage haha
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 02:30 AM

Reviews: 11

I havent had time to dink around with my crate. Little apathy too I guess. what happened to my amp is the same thing. The only "issue" I have found, I burnt out one of the tiny resistors in the circuit board. Easy enough replacement for me I guess. Dont understand how that would kill the amp.

But yes, the REALLY REALLY hot tubes and lack of sound and all that stuff. Its indicative that we have the same issue, so please share any fixes if you please.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
I havent had time to dink around with my crate. Little apathy too I guess. what happened to my amp is the same thing. The only "issue" I have found, I burnt out one of the tiny resistors in the circuit board. Easy enough replacement for me I guess. Dont understand how that would kill the amp.

But yes, the REALLY REALLY hot tubes and lack of sound and all that stuff. Its indicative that we have the same issue, so please share any fixes if you please.
will do, linux

Tags
blown fuse , glowing hot tubes , hot tubes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode