Can I make this Ibanez sound GREAT? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Question Can I make this Ibanez sound GREAT?

I just bought a used 1989 EX350 with a 1995 RX20 maple neck with locking nut installed, and locking Floyd Rose. The shop I bought it from say it has a Basswood body. This is my first Ibanez. I paid $150.00 for it. I have been playing for 35 years and own only Gibson and Fender guitars. I know this guitar is kinda "low end", but I wanted a project and hear great things about Ibanez. I will give it a hot paint job, but thats where my skills end. I was looking for advice on what pickups and pots to install. Or even a better neck choice? I know I will spend alot of cash remaking the guitar but I would rather make it unique than just spend more on another guitar. Thanks for any advice

Last edited by Bluesguy; 08-29-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 06:38 PM

Re: Can I make this Ibanez sound GREAT?

i can sympathise with your idea my friend.

reminds me of myself a few months ago when i had the genius idea of making my 'perfect guitar' myself on the cheap; without any detailed knowledge on 'how to glue stuff together'.

ive had a few problems with putting it all together, but it has been fun and hopefully worth it when its done. the main issues were installing the trem (which you shouldn't have to do by the sounds of things) & fitting the neck properly. everything else seems to be going ok (touch basewood) so you should decide what hardware you want and just go for it.

As far as pickups go, i have a few semour duncan's which are great if you dont want the extra hastle of active pickups. dimarzio's are the more obvious choice for an ibanez, but if you want the extra challenge of active pickups, i'd recommend EMG's - although ive only heard them in use and i'm yet to try mine on my project.

how about new decent locking machineheads (tuners) on the neck? they can be a valuable, essential addition to a guitar with a floyd rose style trem, if of course you havent got the locking nut on your neck?

other than that, the worlds your lobster!!!

have fun

Last edited by smasher2000; 08-29-2008 at 06:40 PM. Reason: typo

Tags
basswood , pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode