can someone explain to me how to intonate my lo pro edge? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

can someone explain to me how to intonate my lo pro edge?

the part i am baffled about is the intonation screws are directly under the strings. i dont see how do i intonate them with out having to take off the strings or loosen them which seems to me defeating the purpose or at least makes it extremely in efficient to intonate. i really dont see how you intonate a guitar out of tune lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 08:02 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: can someone explain to me how to intonate my lo pro edge?

you gotta loosen the string then guess on the intonation then repeat... highly annoying however the edgeadjust tool helps you do it easily as it holds the pitch allowing intonation setting... glen
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

yeah sounds kinda retarded but hey out of all the other pro's i get out of this bridge i guess this is not that bad of a deal. but frustraiting. where can i get the edge adjust tool? that sounds like a resolution to my issue. because it takes long enough just tuning it.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 09:31 AM

I don't have an Edge-Adjust and I find it much easier to adjust intonation by taking the bridge off, rather than winding. Once you've acquainted yourself with that procedure it's much faster than winding and unwinding strings, especially if you coil up a lot of windings around the tuner posts.

If you do intonation as part of a major set up, you won't even have to put/take the springs on/off while adjusting, just block the trem in position temporarily.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

is that kind of a joke? how do you accurately intonate with the bridge off. yeah i can guess where to slide it but come on that cant be accurate every time you tune it. its tuned slightly differently and taking the bridge off then setting them your just guessing the only real way to tell is keep play at the 12th and 24th while sliding it and you cant do that with the bridge off the guitar. yeah i know the saddles move when its off the guitar but that obviously defeats the purpose of accurately intonating your guitar lol. i am going to buy the edge adjuster it just makes sense then retuning it. and it takes like 20 minutes to accurately tune and get the bridge balanced out i dont want to do that every time i move the saddle just once. and when you intonate your guitar it never has anything to do with winding the tuning posts thats just for tuning so of course it easier then doing that because that would never do the trick in the first place i really dont get what your saying at all.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrade View Post
is that kind of a joke?
I'm certanly not joking.

Quote:
i really dont get what your saying at all.
So it appears.

In order to move the saddle without Edge Adjust you need to bring the strings to slack.
If you do that using the tuners you need to wind the tuners a lot.
In fact, if you string the ball ends up at the headstock, pre-cut the strings to length and and pre-tension, you cannot actually drop the strings to slack with the tuner.
In any case it's a lot of work: to full slack, then back to pitch, repeat if it's still off.

You could just use the bar to bring the strings to slack and clamp it down as you move the saddle, but this won't work with every single gauge/tension combination or the pre-cutting to length.
So that's were taking the trem off comes into play: it's the easiest way to get all the strings to slack.

Quote:
and it takes like 20 minutes to accurately tune and get the bridge balanced out i dont want to do that every time i move the saddle just once
Put the block in place in between adjustments and you will only need to use the (fine) tuner on the particular string you're working on.
We're talking about 3secs for the block and 25secs for retuning.
If you do this correctly there will be almost no adjusting to do after putting the trem springs back on.

The key qualifier is without Edge Adjust, if you own one of those you won't have to think about moving the strings to slack. But they haven't been available in a while since they don't work with the EP anyway. So we need to have other methods to intonate.

Also, could you please insert some interpunction and capitalisation for legibility?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 12:02 AM

I use one of my wood clamps that I've carved a bit of a groove in (for the trem bar), I lay a towel across the body so the bar doesn't impact the finish (of course) and just clamp the bar down as close to the body as I can while I move my saddles. Haven't had any troubles so far....

Tags
detune , intonate , lo pro edge , rg570ct , setup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode