Change strings immediately? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Change strings immediately?

Hey I knocked over my Ibanez rg550 (floating bridge) last night. The A string broke from its fall and is now way out of tune. I can forsee this taking some time to get back in perfect tune.

I'm currently in finals week in college and don't have any much time to do this. Additionally I'm bout to go on vacation and won't touch the guitar for a week or so. If I don't put a new set of strings on and tune the guitar back up soon, will it get messed up (neck warping or tremelo problems)? Will it be fine if I just wait a week or so to change the strings. This is my main guitar I use in my band so I'd prefer not to break it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 04:49 PM

Re: Change strings immediately?

When you put the new string on tension should go back to normal and be fine. Unless you did some damage to the guitar or something.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 05:06 PM

...are you seriously asking a forum full of guitar players if you should tune your guitar?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 05:07 PM

personally, don't change strings until you're free.
and never replace only a single string, it won't sound good
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 05:24 PM

The string broke from a drop for all we know they are 2 days old. Why would you change all the strings? What if you break a string tuning up or stretching brand new strings do you change all of the other brand new ones you just put on?? If the strings are months old then he should change them all as long as he wants to and has the money or strings.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses guys. I just said f it and changed the one string real quick. Luckily there werent any problems with the guitar from the fall.

I was mainly just curious if you guys had any insight as far does leaving the guitar off tension or uneven tension for a long period of time cause any damage to the guitar or tremelo system?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpraider69 View Post
The string broke from a drop for all we know they are 2 days old. Why would you change all the strings? What if you break a string tuning up or stretching brand new strings do you change all of the other brand new ones you just put on?? If the strings are months old then he should change them all as long as he wants to and has the money or strings.
If a string breaks from a single drop, a good chance that it might be a defective set. I prefer to be safe and change the whole set. Strings don't usually break that easily.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 08:44 PM

Classic jemsite, everyone ignores what he is actually asking and has their own discussion.

From experience, it would of been fine. I took my neck off the guitar for over a month. No problems when I put it back on. I've left many guitars in the condition you describe over the years, I've never had a single problem.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 10:16 PM

Can't see it damaging the guitar but if it you were worried you could put something under the tail of the bridge to keep it in place. I use a pencil eraser to hold my trem in place when doing setups, works fine.

Rock on!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 03:41 AM

If it broke at the bridge, just let some string off the tuner and stick it back in the trem so you wont need a new string.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
If it broke at the bridge, just let some string off the tuner and stick it back in the trem so you wont need a new string.
+1 for you I've done this more than a few times for various reasons and it has no negative effects on tuning stability. The part of the string that gets unwound is behind the locking nut anyway
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 09:20 AM

Reviews: 11

When one string breaks, the trem pulls back, right? Right. Guitar basics. When the trem pulls back, it makes all of the other strings tighter until the same lost tension is made up for. And when the lost tension is made up for, then you will have no issues with warping because the neck never had any less tension on it.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 10:54 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.M.RG7620 View Post
When one string breaks, the trem pulls back, right? Right. Guitar basics. When the trem pulls back, it makes all of the other strings tighter until the same lost tension is made up for. And when the lost tension is made up for, then you will have no issues with warping because the neck never had any less tension on it.
Your on the right track, but in fact both the strings and the springs now have less tension on them. They are still in balance, just with less tension.

Riffraff: Your guitar and associated parts will be fine for the week. I would leave it 'til you have the proper amount of time to spend on it.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 12:45 PM

Keeping the right amount of tension on the neck wile not playing is always best.
However it doesn't (shouldn't) hurt if you leave the neck for a while with a broken string(less tention).
As long as there are no big humidity/temperature differences for the time being it shouldn't hurt.
For longer periods of non use and no strings at all,its better to loosen the trussrod.
I keep my projectnecks with just the slightest bit of backbow.

Tags
change , string , timeframe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode