Changing string gauges on a non Floyd Rose guitar - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Changing string gauges on a non Floyd Rose guitar

One of my guitars is a cheap Squire Stratocaster by Fender, which has always had 0.009mm strings on it. It is not a Floyd Rose guitar. I don't know how it's called in English, but it has a tremolo arm without locking tuners. Anyway, I want to install 0.010mm strings on it, but I don't know if I need to do any special adjustments, or I can do it freely?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 10:35 AM

Re: Changing string gauges on a non Floyd Rose guitar

No worries, I have 10s on my affinity strat, works great and improves tone and tuning stability. Another hint : go up to 5 trem springs ... don't have tuning issues anymore with the five springs and 10s well stretched
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

I use 0.010mm strings on my Ibanez, so I know how they feel, but it's a Floyd Rose guitar, so I had to pay for a setup, but can I do it alone without a setup on a non Floyd Rose guitar? By the way the Strat has three springs in the back.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 10:50 AM

No need to pay anybody to do something you can easily do yourself.

I know we are talking about a non floyd, hence my post on the squier strat I also own for everyday playing.

Just do the following :

(1) Remove all strings,

(2) Take the opportunity to clean your neck

(3) add two more springs to the trem. 5 will definitaly improve your tuning stability, sustain and tone, (one extra spring cost 60 euro cents here in France)

(4) use a pencil in the nut grooves to add a little "coal" (?? don't know the word in english), enhances string stability too,

(4) Install the new 10-46s,

(5) fiddle with the trem screws until the vintage trem sits well on the body (non floating), but is not putting overly harsh pressure on the body, at least that's what I do, because I don't use it on the squier,

(6) Stretch the strings as well as you can,

(7) Adjust the action of your strings on your trem to your liking

( 8 ) Correct intonation by moving the saddles,

(9) Adjust pickup height on the tgreble and bass side to your liking, adjusting for output, sustain and overall harmony of the sound,

(10) play and enjoy !!!

If your guitar has a decent neck profile, it most probably won't need a trussrod adjustment even when moving from 9s to 10s !

And most importantly, have fun I love my affinity strat for everyday noodling, and when I don't want to take the queens out of their bed

PS : due to scale length, the 10s will feel a little stiffer on the squier strat than on a 24 fret floyd Ibanez. But I still love it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technetium View Post
I use 0.010mm
Minor interjection - .010 means .010 inches, not millimeters.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

Tags
floyd rose , floyd rose guitar , locking tuners , pickup height , rod adjustment , squier strat , squire strat , trem springs , tremolo arm , vintage trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode