Chipping around trem stud. - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
Chipping around trem stud.

Hey guys, this is a '00 RG520QS, I have had it for over a year (April '11) and the first time I took the trem out I noticed a small chip... well, it seems to keep growing. I have no idea what is causing it, and my worst fear is it could cause a crack down to the anchors (remember that Charvel of Vai's?).

So, has anybody seen anything like this before?

1987 posts, woohoo!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 02:45 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: Chipping around trem stud.

Is there wood missing too? it's hard to tell from the pic (but it looks like there is)........Love the pickups!!!!!!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 06:12 AM

It could be that some one tried to adjust the stud without loosing the locking bolt inside,(if there is one) Causing stress.
or dropt it? etc,

If the angor doesnt wobble and sits tight in the wood it should be no problem.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 11:08 AM

Looks like one of mine before I pulled the anchor, had to remove the paint over the top. Someone either removed it once or it might be loose and moving during use, in which case you'll want to yank it out and reset it with wood glue and lots of dry time, or it will eventually oval the hole out.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Naw, it's solid as a rock. Yes, there is wood missing and it keeps growing. That said, It's not like I'm finding wood chips, and that kind of bothers me. It is about a millimeter deep.

Last edited by fwd0120; 07-02-2012 at 05:04 PM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 03:15 PM

Termites?

Check the underside of the bridge itself and see if there's anything protruding that could dig into the wood.

I'd imagine you already thought of that, but could you post a picture of the underside of the bridge?

From the front.

There has to be something digging into the wood to cause that, and the obvious place to look is the bridge.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 03:44 PM

Reviews: 1

perhaps an over length intonation securing bolt??? if one was replaced with a longer one i guess it could do that, but i'd expect you to notice something funky about the action of the trem if it was the case....
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 09:06 PM

Just hit the site up with super glue and forget about it.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 09:38 PM

F: first put a long allen into the stud (locked) and wiggle it. Be ABSOLUTELY sure there is no movement!!!! If not, follow Jesse's advise and superglue the entire area. Don't use the gel stuff...it won't sink in. Use the old fashioned watery stuff.

If it IS wiggling, don't do anything....let us know the results first.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 06:45 PM

Reviews: 37

looks higher than the other one.
ibanez puts the studs in before finishing them with clear sometimes paint).
maybe it pulled up on a pull up and lifted the finish off from above it.
wouldnt take much to crack the finish if it did and in turn lift some wood..
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Andrew, you could be on to something. That would make sense because (and it could just strings breaking in) the action seems to verrrry slowly creep up (months to notice). Now, that could just be strings breaking in, or could definitely be what you mentioned.

If that is the case - has that every happened to anybody, is it fixable, and if not, how long do I have before this baby is unplayable?

Ryc, it's solid.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 01:18 AM

I bought mine in that condition, I didn't notice movement till I was setting it up and blocked the trem from inside the recess. That switched the leverage upward in a way that shifted the anchor just enough for me to notice. Following advice on ibanezrules, I checked the other, presumably tight anchor with as much force as I could exert on my vice grips, and sure enough it moved as well, just a hair though. I pulled them both and reset them the ibanezrules way and they're rock solid now no matter how much I abuse the bar.

Last edited by axel_f; 07-01-2012 at 01:34 AM.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 01:28 AM

Here you can see the chipping on the forward side and spider cracks behind the hole. Originally it was all cracks but when I went to remove the anchor a whole chunk of wood came off similar to yours, that's why I assumed yours might have been removed or at least popped up. The discoloration down in the hole is where I had to build the oval back up with superglue and saw dust. My guess is the prior owner allowed it to get that way by not setting the lock screws inside the posts, which in turn allowed the posts to wiggle with trem use. It was a really easy fix so I wouldn't get too worked up over it, personally I would just keep a close eye on it and watch out for tuning instability, especially after heavy bar use. At the very least I would do as suggested and let some superglue soak into it, also see if you can push it in because it does look high (on second look it actually seems level but the loss of wood and finish makes it look high).

Last edited by axel_f; 07-01-2012 at 01:45 AM.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 12:06 PM

Looks like the anchor pulled up and took a chunk out of the wood. I have one guitar where that's happened. Stick a long allen key down there and press on it, make sure that the anchor is seated, then apply superglue all around the edge of the stud. Let it soak for a few seconds and then keep applying. It will wick into any cracks. I use the "10" thin superglue from Stew Mac for repairs like this.

If the anchor is in any way loose and the hole is ovaled, use a stud to keep the anchor pulled towards the bridge side while doing that.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
Andrew, you could be on to something. That would make sense because (and it could just strings breaking in) the action seems to verrrry slowly creep up (months to notice). Now, that could just be strings breaking in, or could definitely be what you mentioned.

If that is the case - has that every happened to anybody, is it fixable, and if not, how long do I have before this baby is unplayable?

Ryc, it's solid.
No worries Frank......your guitar will be perfectly fine, my friend. Just follow Jesse's instructions to the letter. Do yourself a favor and buy the Stew-Mac stuff (unless you have another supplier of super thin CA). This stuff will save you a world of trouble. Just play your RX for a few days while your waiting for the CA to come in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode