Choked strings on higher frets - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Question Choked strings on higher frets

Hi all, frist time poster, long time lurker here!

I recently acquired a nice '94 RG570CTAM, and it needs a good setup, which I usualy can do myself. The main problem is buzzing on the lower frets and choking on the higher frets, especially when bending.

- The buzz on the lower frets, I know I can resolve with giving the neck a little more relief. That is a simple fix.

- The higher fret choking worries me more. The action is set low, but not insanely low (or 'silly low' as Rich puts it), just as I like it. I know that when I add more relief to the neck to solve the lower fret buzzing the action will raise. Then when I lower the bridge to get the desired action, the problem will remain, since the upper part of the neck (frets 20-24) are not affected by the truss rod, it's the part directly screwed on the body.

Do I have to adjust the neck angle? It seems to me that if the neck was angled a bit more towards the front, the upper frets would get more clearance. Currently I can see that it's angled backwards a little, maybe too much.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Vendor

Re: Choked strings on higher frets

Neck relief doesn't affect the relationship between the upper frets and the bridge. Lower the bridge any and you'll just choke even more. You'll either have to raise the action or start looking at the fretwork.
Rich is online  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

True, I can see you are right about the relationship between upper frets and bridge.

A fret job is really a last resort, I think... I'm sure there are solutions
Wouldn't changing the neck angle (w/ shims) solve my problem?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Vendor

Neck angle has nothing to do with choking frets.
Rich is online  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Really? What is it for then?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 05:40 PM
Vendor

Trem pull up range.
Rich is online  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

You mean, with a neck tilted back, the bridge has to be higher to get the same action, an therefore you can pull up more.. ok I get it.

My neck's angle is fine then.

I guess that means my guitar is going to see the doctor... damn.

Thanks for the tips!

Tags
fret buzz , neck angle , neck relief , truss rod , upper fret , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode