Chrome vinyl film a viable finish? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2003, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Chrome vinyl film a viable finish?

Hi guys,

Just had a thought. I've started making my own stickers and decals and I came across this chrome film. Adhesive type film like the stuff some of you may have used on your exercise books when at school. Except, much, MUCH thicker.

It's been designed for use with cars. Easy'ish to cut, and very, very chrome. Just cut out a design with a scalpal then apply.

Anyway, I was thinking that this could make a nice mirror top for a guitar. Cut out the shape of the guitar, apply to the top, then clear over. Has anyone tried this?

wil..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2003, 11:32 PM

Forget that!!!

I've seen at the vinyl shop a zluminum shet, that can be cut to fit any size, which is available in Chrome!!!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2003, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

That's the stuff.. vinyl adhesive stuff.. in chrome

wil..

ps. Topic edited now too
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2003, 11:57 PM

zluminum shet?

Don't you guys proofread your posts before hitting the "Submit" button?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2003, 12:13 AM

been there tried it, still working on it.

The problem comes in the adhesion of the vinyl to the surface being permanent, and more so, the adhesion of the clear to the vinyl is very poor, it's fine if you can scuff the chrome, but then it doesn't look chrome anymore. I'm still workin on it though, tried this about 2 years ago hehehe.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2003, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreenman
been there tried it, still working on it.

The problem comes in the adhesion of the vinyl to the surface being permanent, and more so, the adhesion of the clear to the vinyl is very poor, it's fine if you can scuff the chrome, but then it doesn't look chrome anymore. I'm still workin on it though, tried this about 2 years ago hehehe.
hehe cool
I'm guessing I've got buckleys of getting it to work in that case.
So the clear won't adhere to the vinyl... There's gotta be a way around that.

I might just make some pickup covers out of the vinyl . Would that work?

wil..
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2003, 08:22 PM

Sorry on the spelling, maybe I was buzzed.

The stuff I'm talking about at my friends Vinyl sign shop is actural metal. Very thin metal, they advertise to cut in any shape.

I am not sure about the price, but Jeremy is right on the part on getting a clear to stick. But would you need a clear since the finish is Chrome?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 03:07 AM

yes, you do, because the chrome mylar sheet scratches incredibly easy, it wouldnt' look very good for very long.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 02:11 PM

im just hypothesising(sp?), but I imagine that since its a flat sheet you'll have a hard time applying it to rounded guitars (s, r, or JS) without folding.

also, I can can imagine that it will be very difficult to get it in the right spot (no shifting), since the piece is very large. 2 methods that might work is lying it down in strips (but that will look real ****ty, if your going for a JS style look), or stick a large sheet onto the guitar and then trim off the edges.

I have no idea is it will stay or how resistant it is to scratching.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Actually the vinyl sheet is very workable. Curves are easy. I was thinking of only using it as a top though. Like Vai's chrome jem....

wil..
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 06:49 PM

Vinyl as a finish alternative has already been discussed extensively in this thread:

http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtop...=22314&start=0

Please continue the discussion there
Closed Thread

Tags
chrome jem , pickup cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode