Cleaning a floating bridge - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Cleaning a floating bridge

Hey, so my trem is looking a little (well, alot) worse for wear and it's seen beter days. Does anyone have any advice about how to clean in the trem cavity and right up against the saddles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 12:24 PM

Re: Cleaning a floating bridge

Yup. Fully disassemble the unit, soak in 1/3 light machine oil, 2/3 naphtha for several hours. Then remove the parts, scrub with a brass bristle brush and q tips and rag. Then reassemble and enjoy.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, also what strings would you recomend for someone who sweats more than a christmas turkey when playing :P ? Currently use D'addario EXL 110's but they discolour after about 2 weeks of 1-2 hour a day playing
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris22 View Post
Thanks, also what strings would you recomend for someone who sweats more than a christmas turkey when playing :P ? Currently use D'addario EXL 110's but they discolour after about 2 weeks of 1-2 hour a day playing
Coated strings!

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

I've heard about Elixir nanoweb strings but people have had mixed results. Do you have any brand preferences?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks,Currently use D'addario EXL 110's but they discolour after about 2 weeks of 1-2 hour a day playing
Well that is completely normal. Strings go bad. They also sound like crap well before they feel that way. I would just change strings once a week, buy them in bulk and its really pretty cheap.
Coated strings feel "newer" for longer, but they still lose tone, and they have a degraded tone from the start. They just encourage you to keep playing on dead strings long after you should have changed them.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 08:56 PM

I usually clean trems with naptha, vinegar or just spit depending on what's on them. I use a toothbrush and q-tips to do the cleaning. Wear gloves if you use naptha! I use WD40 on all the hardware.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 09:58 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
I've heard about Elixir nanoweb strings but people have had mixed results. Do you have any brand preferences?
I use elixir nanoweb lights. I absolutely LOVE THEM. They play and sound great all the way until i break one, then i change sets. I really can't tell the difference between an old set and a new set.

I'd say give them a go. I used to use Ernie Ball slinky's, but they rusted WAY too quickly for me. Then i moved onto D'addarrio XL, and they work nicely (my favorite non-coated string), they still rusted and had to change them every 2-4 weeks though. The elixir's, i've only ever changed them when i snap one and they sound really good to me up until that point. (WARNING! They are slippery compared to XL's and Slinky's.... but i love that slipperiness)

I put a couple of youtube vids up the other day, and snapped a string like a day or 2 later. So you can check the kind of sound quality before breaking elixirs at www.youtube.com/julzius (check out the ones with bright orange background)

Seriously man, just try them and see how you go.

Toodles, Julz.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 02:48 PM

I've been working on a RG470 for a friend. Last week I got a fret job done on it with brand new strings installed. I played it a week and they were still new looking. He played it one night and three days later when I pulled it back out of the case the string were very corroded. I think he sweats acid. Anyway, we make sure he washes his hands before playing now and after playing I wipe the strings down with Krud Kutter (a light citrus based cleaner) and they put a little Dunlop Lemon oil on a rag and wipe the string down with that. They seem to stay corrosion free for 2-3 weeks now.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 03:03 PM

Reviews: 2

Guys, strings are not meant to last more than 2 weeks....3 max with regular playing. Like Musikron said, your playing on dead strings. You can't extend the life of a string by keeping corrosion off. The strings degrade from playing them even if you wear surgical gloves the whole time.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Tampax strings all the way
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Guys, strings are not meant to last more than 2 weeks....3 max with regular playing. Like Musikron said, your playing on dead strings. You can't extend the life of a string by keeping corrosion off. The strings degrade from playing them even if you wear surgical gloves the whole time.
Wrong.
You can keep the same strings for more than 5 years cause tone...................is in the fingers!

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 10:26 AM

After playing, I wipe down my strings with a rag soaked in 99% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol from the drug store). I make sure the rag surrounds the string and then wipe it up and down the neck. Do one string at a time. The strings literally ring out while doing this. It removes all the junk. I'll use the same rag to wipe don the metal part of my guitar to remove sweat, grease, crap, etc.

My strings will be corrosion free for months and I usually change them out once one breaks.

I wouldn't recommend any oil based product just because it will attract dirt.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 09:22 AM

I cleaned an old floyd copy by disassembling it and soaking all the parts overnight in coca-cola.

the next day I rinsed everything, dried with a hairdryer and reassembled.

worked great!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 10:06 AM

Another thing to consider is cleaning metal parts in a varsol bath. That's how machine shops typically clean all their metal parts.

Tags
bridge , cleaning , floating , ibanez , trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode