Cleaning gold hardware? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: tn
Posts: 662
Reviews: 4
Cleaning gold hardware?

I pickup up another guitar last night and all the hardware is gold and all the hardware is VERY dirty/tarnished. I think the poor thing has sat in some pretty rough conditions, though there is virtually no fret ware so I don't think the tarnish is from sweaty hands. I have done some searching on the net and found many opinions on what to clean the hardware with, but nothing i would trust yet except soap, water, and elbow grease. Does any one know of a product that, without a doubt, will NOT remove the gold finish but does a great job getting the junk off. I disassembled the guitar last night and used just a cloth and just rubbed the 6th string side of the bridge and got it shiny, but there was some stuff that wouldn't come off....
Some possibilities I heard were:
naphtha, acetone, lighter fluid, jeweler's polish, toothpaste,never-dull, wenall (metal polish, which i have)
jl2556 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: England
Posts: 7,086
Reviews: 1
Re: Cleaning gold hardware?

Waiting for a good answer to this one!
jono is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 03:24 PM
 
RGTFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Lenox, IL-USA
Posts: 10,116
Reviews: 2
Re: Cleaning gold hardware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2556 View Post
I pickup up another guitar last night and all the hardware is gold and all the hardware is VERY dirty/tarnished. I think the poor thing has sat in some pretty rough conditions, though there is virtually no fret ware so I don't think the tarnish is from sweaty hands. I have done some searching on the net and found many opinions on what to clean the hardware with, but nothing i would trust yet except soap, water, and elbow grease. Does any one know of a product that, without a doubt, will NOT remove the gold finish but does a great job getting the junk off. I disassembled the guitar last night and used just a cloth and just rubbed the 6th string side of the bridge and got it shiny, but there was some stuff that wouldn't come off....
Some possibilities I heard were:
naphtha, acetone, lighter fluid, jeweler's polish, toothpaste,never-dull, wenall (metal polish, which i have)
DO NOT use the never-dull or metal polish. It will strip the finish right off.
Toothpaste is abrasive.
Acetone is too harsh.
Naptha, lighter fluid (kerosene), and jewelers polish will work fine.

I would be using denatured alcohol (mentholated alcohol) after a short soak in WD-40 or other lightweight household oil.
RGTFanatic is offline  
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: tn
Posts: 662
Reviews: 4
Re: Cleaning gold hardware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
DO NOT use the never-dull or metal polish. It will strip the finish right off.
Toothpaste is abrasive.
Acetone is too harsh.
Naptha, lighter fluid (kerosene), and jewelers polish will work fine.

I would be using denatured alcohol (mentholated alcohol) after a short soak in WD-40 or other lightweight household oil.
I can see soaking the the saddles to free up the pivot points in WD-40 but is there a reason to soak everything else that has no movement (base plate etc.) Dose the WD-40 help with the cleaning process in general?
jl2556 is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 05:17 PM
 
RGTFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Lenox, IL-USA
Posts: 10,116
Reviews: 2
Re: Cleaning gold hardware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2556 View Post
I can see soaking the the saddles to free up the pivot points in WD-40 but is there a reason to soak everything else that has no movement (base plate etc.) Dose the WD-40 help with the cleaning process in general?
Yes, WD is a gentle solvent. It will soften any built up debris without doing damage to the gold plating. It's not unlike dish detergents. The only reason I don't use detergent soap is that I like to avoid using water in a situation that can be difficult to fully dry before the water causes oxidation. The WD prevents oxidation. The alcohol breaks down the WD for easy cleanup.
RGTFanatic is offline  
Reply

Tags
cleaning gold hardware

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB - Gold Hardware SYL Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 09-10-2013 07:43 AM
difference between Power Gold and Gold hardware, lo pro edge, nut, tuners, etc. Dr.StrangeNote Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 3 09-22-2011 08:38 AM
FT: my black hardware for your gold hardware dcord Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 3 12-26-2010 12:18 PM
WTB: Gold Hardware & Gold Edge Pro Jimbo72 Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 07-30-2008 07:45 PM
precautions before cleaning these hardware? oYx Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 61 05-20-2006 12:51 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome