Cleaning your guitar (mostly frets) - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Cleaning your guitar (mostly frets)

I wipe my guitar down after playing all the time and wash my hands bla bla bla so are you supposed to clean your frets with that lemon juice stuff? Cause my frets aren't the metal looking colour that they were originally and I've noticed even my oldest guitars I've never cleaned the frets with lemon juice.

Only lately I've noticed this (I have a relaxed brain) and should I buy lemon juice to clean the frets or just wipe 'em down like I always did?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 08:59 AM

Re: Cleaning your guitar (mostly frets)

This is what I use.
http://www.gorgomyte.com/
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helltone View Post
This is what I use.
http://www.gorgomyte.com/
cool, I've always used 0000 steel wool, but after reading up on this stuff, I'll have to give it a try.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 06:55 PM

Dont use lemon juice. I dont think the acid in it would do anything any good. You usually use lemon oil on the fretboard (if its rosewood) and 0000 steel wool to polish the frets up.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 09:12 PM

Reviews: 12

Do Not use lemon juice. you can use Lemon Oil. I use Old English Lemon Oil. It seems to work wonders for me. Of course first I cleaned the Fingerboard of all the dirt and goo with 0000 Steel Wool then wiped it down with the Old English. The Lemon Oil is not very expensive and it lasts a long time, not only that you can use it on any wood furniture you may have too. The bottle I bought will probably last me a couple years even though I use it on furniture and my Fingerboard. I also see a lot of fingerboard oils and cleaners at Guitar Center or many of the online Instrument companies.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 09:33 PM

Reviews: 2

I use the 0000 steel wool to clean and polish and then I give it a rub down with "Dr. Duck's Ax Wax." Which strangley enough contains no wax. It appears to do the same thing as the gorgomyte but cost less.

After using it on the 19 year old S540 I got yesterday, the frets are shiny enough to reflect my coloured strings.

Tags
lemon juice clean frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode