Clear coat still soft after 6 months - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Clear coat still soft after 6 months

Has any one had this happen to them or experienced this in the past..?
I picked up a 2003 RG from a pawn shop for a $100.. Figured it would be a good first time project.. Bought the whole spray gun set up, did all my research/prep work. Started spraying my water-based Auto Air (Green) and every thing was going great.. A bit of orange peel but not bad for my first go.
After letting dry I began the clear coat process. Put about 10+ coats on this thing. let dry for about three days and started wet sanding.
Now there are a few things I may have done wrong, so if you have any recommendations or comments they would be greatly appreciated.
Here are my mistakes..
1. Did not use primer before color coat which resulted in discoloration in some areas of the paint where I used wood filler (amateur mistake, I know..)
2. Did I not wait long enough for the clear to dry before wetsanding..?
It felt dry but when I started wet sanding I got the fuem smell and eventually I saw green coming of the paint onto the sand paper.. Does this mean I sanded past the clear..? If so, it would have been impossible to clear the orange peel without sanding that far down
3. I used Transtar Urethane Clear coat with activator/hardener which should have done the job, live in california so no weather/temp issues

Six months later and I can still imprint my finger nail on the surface. It sucks, all that work for nothing..
I'm beginning to start a new project but am very afraid of wasting my time and energy just to have the same results.. I suppose the only thing I can do is give it a second shot and maybe spray more clear coats.. Let dry longer (weeks) before wet sanding.
Any little bit of advice is appreciated!!! Love this site, you guys are great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 03:35 PM

Re: Clear coat still soft after 6 months

man . I'v been there. what grit did you start wet sanding the clear with? Sounds like you hit paint. I'm not familiar with the clear you used but I had the same problem with Deft Lacquer. I hear guys rave about 2K clearcoat and the next project I do, I'm gonna try it. It comes in a rattle can but is supposed to be the bomb. I tend to get antsy and start wet sanding too soon also..I guess best thing to do is not wet sand until you can't put a fingernail in the finish.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

I used the recommended #1200-1500, and finished with the 2000 grit.
2K sounds promising, I definitely want to give it a try at some point as well. Quick question for you though.. Have you had success with any rattle can clear..? Is it pointless using rattle can clear coat on a project that's painted using a spray gun set-up in terms of quality..?
Thank you for your reply btw.. Next go around, I'm definitely going to wait till the surface is completely dry/cured before I start any wet sanding.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 06:04 PM

After using the Spraymax 2K, I'll be retiring any deft, minwax, krylon, and any other clear coats I've accumulated since I began restoring and building. The only downside of it is the Darth Vader uniform you need to wear when spraying it.

It's pricey, but it evens out once you figure 1can = 1guitar as opposed to 3 or 4 of the other cans.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 06:29 PM

10+ coats in 3 days is way too much. No more than 3 - 4 med/heavy coats per 24/hours.

Also depends on your mixing ratio - did you do it proper? My clears are generally 4:1. Get that wrong and it's like epoxy - won't fully cure.

Lastly, different clears have different cure times. You want more of a collision repair shop clear which will be fully cured in 48 hours. When you go with more custom like HOK - the fully cure time is much longer.

Tags
clear coat , finishes , wet sanding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode