Click noise from using tremolo. - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Click noise from using tremolo.

I got this noise coming from from my JS and JEM then I use the tremolo a lot more frequent in the JS. Like a click when I lower the tremolo and sometimes when I go up in pitch. The JEM has done it a few times too but never the RG... I wonder if its something lose like the neck moving in the pocket or anything that is common or if its harmful?

Last edited by algorithmsjoe; 09-24-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 09:22 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: Click noise from using tremolo.

OK I had this on two guitars. RG 370 and RG 450. Both for different reasons. I think it used to click on my 550 too but not anymore. So on the 370 the problem was in the locking nut it was moving I guess so a luthier shimmed it and it kinda clicked less but it didn't disappear (i mean the clicking noise). On the 450 the trem literally was scratching the pickguard. For both of the guitars it did nothing to the tuning stability tho! It was just a noise and nothing more, and I believe it is nothing farmful so don't worry!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 01:25 PM

I don't have an answer, but I'm jumping on the "me too" bandwagon...

I sometimes hear a faint "click" too when I do a heavy pull-up (dives are fine) on some of my 7-string trems. I've no idea what causes it, but doesn't seem to affect tuning stability. I always felt like it was something with the knife edges "settling" or shifting a bit.

This is one I'd like to hear Rich speculate on--or maybe he knows exactly what's happening. My guitars are all 7-strings with Edge Pros or Lo Pros, no pickguards, locking stud mods on all of them.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 01:39 PM
Vendor

Always check for a groove in the studs, although they're tough and should be adjusted under tension, they're not all created equal and sometimes you'll get a softer one [or batch]. If changing to new studs doesn't eliminate it then I'd be looking at spring shift, but that's fairly easy to hear the twang that goes with it, although extremely rare as the tension they're under almost always keeps them from moving, but full throw pullups can make one twist a hair, then snap back on tension..
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asstaroth View Post
OK I had this on two guitars. RG 370 and RG 450. Both for different reasons. I think it used to click on my 550 too but not anymore. So on the 370 the problem was in the locking nut it was moving I guess so a luthier shimmed it and it kinda clicked less but it didn't disappear (i mean the clicking noise). On the 450 the trem literally was scratching the pickguard. For both of the guitars it did nothing to the tuning stability tho! It was just a noise and nothing more, and I believe it is nothing farmful so don't worry!
The JEM seems to have stopped, I was setting it up today and could not replicate it. However the JS which has no pick guard still does it. I will check the nut, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaestro View Post
I don't have an answer, but I'm jumping on the "me too" bandwagon...

I sometimes hear a faint "click" too when I do a heavy pull-up (dives are fine) on some of my 7-string trems. I've no idea what causes it, but doesn't seem to affect tuning stability. I always felt like it was something with the knife edges "settling" or shifting a bit.

This is one I'd like to hear Rich speculate on--or maybe he knows exactly what's happening. My guitars are all 7-strings with Edge Pros or Lo Pros, no pickguards, locking stud mods on all of them.
Yeah from the 4 Edge/Lo pro guitars I have, only the JS and JEM have done that clicking noise. The RG655 and RG 752 no clicks at all. But JEM also seems ok now. It does not affect tuning either in my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Always check for a groove in the studs, although they're tough and should be adjusted under tension, they're not all created equal and sometimes you'll get a softer one [or batch]. If changing to new studs doesn't eliminate it then I'd be looking at spring shift, but that's fairly easy to hear the twang that goes with it, although extremely rare as the tension they're under almost always keeps them from moving, but full throw pullups can make one twist a hair, then snap back on tension..
I don't heard any twang coming from the JS. I am taking apart the JS next week, will see if the studs are the culprit too and if it's an easy fix, Ill order the parts. But if it still clicks I won't look to much in to it. The JS might become an "art" piece soon. If I get it signed. My biggest concern was the JEM 30th that I play. If it happens again on that I will have to get it fixed and track it down, the click just annoys me too much, I will take it a part and see if the nut or studs are moving. It would suck to have to modify the nut or the studs to a brand new guitar.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 03:25 PM
Vendor

It's a 30th? you sure it's just not when it makes contact with the backstop again?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It's a 30th? you sure it's just not when it makes contact with the backstop again?
Yeah I guess that for the JEM 30th the issue was something related to the backstop because it does not happen anymore since I fully rolled back the backstop, so the backstop is never engaged.

Tags
trem js jem noise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode