Clicking neck - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 8
Clicking neck

Greetings all.


I bought an Ibanez RG2820 a few months ago and am having a few
problems.

After about a month or so I noticed the I was getting alot of fret buz at the first frett which indicated to me that the neck had moved slightly. More worrying was the fact that when I used the whammy I could hear a small click and even felt the vibration from this click in the neck. Anyway I left the guitar into the shop where I bought it and the guy adjusted the neck slightly but said that he couldn't feel any vibration or hear a click. When I got the guitar home I tried the whammy and guess what? I can hear a click and feel a vibration in the neck.

As I have never encountered this before it's kind of worrying, could there be a problem with the truss rod?

Appreciate any advice you guys can give.

thanks in advance
wangbar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 03:05 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,383
Does the guitar go out of tune at all when you hear this 'click'?

It's very likely just a neck creak, no really worry as long as you don't notice any shifting in the neck.

It's usually simply caused in the neck pocket, you have the wood joined there under a lot of pressure and it can 'slip' ever so slightly when you change the tension (using the 'wang-bar') and it can make a sound like a 'click' or 'creak'.

My 520 did that when I first got it, I tightened the bolts some but that didn't fix it.
Over time it just went away, the wood settled, much like a house settles over the years. It will make noise for a while then just stop.

If it really bugs you, there's a simply trick to stop it, if it is indeed just a neck pocket creak; baby power, or better, plain talc.

Carefully remove the neck, (go to Rich's site for detailed instructions), and put some talc in the neck pocket, put everything back together and see if that solves the problem. DON'T over do it, just a dusting, something for the wood to grip, instead of slip . . .

Personally, I wouldn't bother with it, just let it click and see if it settles after a while, if not, try the talc, if the talc doesn't fix it THEN I'd suggest having the tech look at it again. (This time, show him what you're talking about right there in the store). :-)

Mic
MicJustMic is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 06:35 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicJustMic
Does the guitar go out of tune at all when you hear this 'click'?

It's very likely just a neck creak, no really worry as long as you don't notice any shifting in the neck.

It's usually simply caused in the neck pocket, you have the wood joined there under a lot of pressure and it can 'slip' ever so slightly when you change the tension (using the 'wang-bar') and it can make a sound like a 'click' or 'creak'.

My 520 did that when I first got it, I tightened the bolts some but that didn't fix it.
Over time it just went away, the wood settled, much like a house settles over the years. It will make noise for a while then just stop.

If it really bugs you, there's a simply trick to stop it, if it is indeed just a neck pocket creak; baby power, or better, plain talc.

Carefully remove the neck, (go to Rich's site for detailed instructions), and put some talc in the neck pocket, put everything back together and see if that solves the problem. DON'T over do it, just a dusting, something for the wood to grip, instead of slip . . .

Personally, I wouldn't bother with it, just let it click and see if it settles after a while, if not, try the talc, if the talc doesn't fix it THEN I'd suggest having the tech look at it again. (This time, show him what you're talking about right there in the store). :-)

Mic
Great idea, and not to second guess what you said, but wouldnt it be that you would want the wood to "slip" and not "grip"? If you were to put something in there to make it grip, like "glue" (I know one would never put glue in the neck pocket), then you would want it tight as possible. But, in this case, the neck is going to shift even after he puts talc in the pocket, so you would want it to slip, so it doesnt grip and make a creek.

The only thing I can think of that you might mean, and I didnt get is that you are wanting him to put the talc in the pocket to take up free space. Is this what you mean? Because if so,then I could understand that you would want it to grip, and not move. Wow, did I confuse you or what? lol, just tell me to piss off if you didnt understand my post.
Powerball is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 06:42 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,383
No, I follow you . . :-)

The talc would simply be there so that if/when the neck does 'move' (it's not really moving, just pressure shifiting enough to make a sound) the talc will deaden any noise this may cause, and as Rich said in another thread (he's the one that came up with the idea, actually) this will help with stubborn diaper rash too.

I often word things incorrectly, expecting others to know what I mean even if I'm not as clear as I should be . . . :-)

When I said, " . . . something for the wood to grip, not slip . . ." I meant don't put so much in that you have a huge amount that will cause the neck to slide around in the talc. :-)

Mic
MicJustMic is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 06:47 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,714
It's a quick fix, all it does is break the surface tension so you don't get the creaks. The reason it creaks to begin with is typically the pocket is too tight on one side and the "real" fix is to relieve that side of the pocket until it's gone [just not so much you cause any gap!!]. Typically more of a problem with heavier strung guitars, 10's and up. I just did a VWH that I shipped yesterday, 10's and a super creaky pocket. Relieve the tight side and no creak.
Rich is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 07:01 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicJustMic
No, I follow you . . :-)

The talc would simply be there so that if/when the neck does 'move' (it's not really moving, just pressure shifiting enough to make a sound) the talc will deaden any noise this may cause, and as Rich said in another thread (he's the one that came up with the idea, actually) this will help with stubborn diaper rash too.

I often word things incorrectly, expecting others to know what I mean even if I'm not as clear as I should be . . . :-)

When I said, " . . . something for the wood to grip, not slip . . ." I meant don't put so much in that you have a huge amount that will cause the neck to slide around in the talc. :-)

Mic
That makes sence. If this is the case, what about graphite? I guess any kind of powdery substance would work. But apparently, the talc is tried and true by Rich. My old RG 270 has a creeky neck, maybe I will give it a shot. Might ever try a little "veener schlider". That German for "vasaline".
Powerball is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 07:02 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: mn.
Posts: 808
If you are getting fret buzz on the 1st fret,loosen the truss rod a quarter turn.The neck has probably adjusted to the climate you live in and needs a bit more relief.Come to think of it,I need some relief from the climate I live in(mn.).
musicdr is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 07:02 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: mn.
Posts: 808
If you are getting fret buzz on the 1st fret,loosen the truss rod a quarter turn.The neck has probably adjusted to the climate you live in and needs a bit more relief.Come to think of it,I need some relief from the climate I live in(mn.).
musicdr is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 07:02 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: mn.
Posts: 808
If you are getting fret buzz on the 1st fret,loosen the truss rod a quarter turn.The neck has probably adjusted to the climate you live in and needs a bit more relief.Come to think of it,I need some relief from the climate I live in(mn.).
musicdr is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 07:03 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: mn.
Posts: 808
Sorry for the quad post,please delete the first 3.
musicdr is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 08:29 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicdr
Sorry for the quad post,please delete the first 3.

lolol, dont you just hate that?
Powerball is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 8
thanks guys

Thanks for your replies, you've put my mind at ease .

The tunning stability doesn't seem to be amazing although that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the 'click' but I'll keep an eye (or rather an ear) on that. It could just be that I live in the north of sweden and the temperature can jump around from anything from -25 to +10 (centigrade)

I dont think I'll bother takeing the neck off and trying talc as I've never really done anything like that before, and as long as it's not going to cause any big problems I can live with a little click now and then.

By the way I had my first gig with the guitar today and it sounds great, the sustain seems to be really good, better the most RGs, but then it is a bit heavier with a thicker neck. The new Dimarzio/Ibanez pickups seem pretty good as well.

Thanks again for your help
wangbar is offline  
Reply

Tags
fret buzz , ibanez pickups , truss rod

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
S570DXQM - clicking trem? stodge All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 10 07-14-2011 10:47 PM
Lo-Pro Edge trem arm clicking MT01 Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 2 11-11-2008 10:43 PM
Clicking Whammy BlackToothGrin All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 7 09-28-2007 09:40 AM
clicking sound on pull-up jeffrg270 Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 6 02-16-2004 12:00 PM
Clicking noise between neck and body big h Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 11 05-03-2003 02:58 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome