Correcting Off Centre Nuts - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Correcting Off Centre Nuts

Once you get over the smutty title .....

The locking nut on my Jem is off centre to the point where it hangs over the high e side of the neck slightly. Don't you just love Ibanez quality control?

It isn't enough to seriously hamper playing but it is enough to be irritating. I've done a search of the forum but came up with nothing conclusive.

There isn't enough play to adjust the nut any further, and this guitar is way beyond any warrantee period.

I think that there is some variation in the position of the holes between different supposedly identical locking nuts, but if I order a new one I have no guarantee that they'll match the neck any better.

I'm very reluctant to mod the wood at that point of the neck.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 03:18 PM

I'd doubt the neck more than the nut. Have you measured things?

One recommendation I can make at this point is post a picture, and then you'll get experts to comment on options.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

From what I've read here, neither the nut nor the neck are precision drilled, it's just a case of whether they are a close enough match or not, and a nut is a lot cheaper than a neck!

I'll dismantle it and get precise measurements later on.

I'm not sure what a photo will show, other than an off centre nut, but I'll take a few shots. Can anyone host?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 04:24 PM
Vendor

Take a Dremmel bit and relieve the bass side of the through hole and the head hole until you can slide it over far enough.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

Isn't it a bit dangerous removing wood from the weakest part of the neck?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 07:28 AM

That's what I thought Rich (the "experts") would recommend with the pictures, but I guess no need now. I don't think removing that little amount of wood would be much of a problem. If the neck is going to go, it isn't going to go based on a mm of wood. My worry is that you'll end up with some sideways play on the nut, unless you fill it with something.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Several extremely nervous hours of gentle filing later and the guitar is back together, and perfect. Let's see how well it holds up to my abuse for the next couple of years!

Tags
locking nut , locking nuts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode