Couple of questions on the RG421 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Couple of questions on the RG421

Couple of questions for RG421 owners. I've had mine now for a couple of weeks and I really do like it. I have a couple of gripes and I'm wondering if anybody can help me out.

I prefer to play 10's on my guitars so as soon as I received the guitar, I took off the 9's and put on 10's. I don't know if it's the gauge of the string but this guitar buzzes a lot. I have set the neck relief so there is virtually no bow and have set the action according to Ibanez specs at 2.0 mm on the low E and 1.5 mm on the high E. I'm still getting some buzzing on some of the lower frets and then again around 12-14 on the wound strings. On my guitar, it also seems that the nut is too high. I don't know if this could cause any buzzing or not but it is higher than any guitar I have ever played before. I almost feel like it needs to be replaced.

Thoughts, help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 05:42 PM

With the heavier strings, you might actually try having a slight relief in the neck. As for the nut being too high, that's probably not the cause of the vibration. If it were too low, it'd definitely be suspect.

Just try adjusting the individual saddle heights until your buzzing is gone It's a trial and error process sometimes.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 05:43 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
yup, add bow then adjust individual saddle height. the playability and tone will be much improved ...glen
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 05:51 PM
Vendor

Ibanez setup spec calls for .3-.5mm of neck relief measured at the 8th.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips guys.

Is that neck relief measured while pressing the 1st fret and the fret where the neck comes into the body, or is it measured with open strings?

Been a few years removed from setting up my guitars so I'm learning again!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 06:59 PM
Vendor

Fretted at the first and the last. Since I won't go near a capo I use a little bar clamp
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Fretted at the first and the last. Since I won't go near a capo I use a little bar clamp
Won't go near a capo?

Phobia?

Have no real need to use one (On trem equipped guitars, of course not.), other than for setup, and you have a clamp for that anyway?

Some other bizarre reason? LOL J/K

Mic
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 07:41 PM
Vendor

Just never saw the point of barring a fret with one to make a chord you'd play at the nut into the same chord a couple frets higher. Got fingers to do that!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 10:52 AM

I agree it's a bit of a cheater, but a $3 capo is nice to have for setups.

Of course, you have a clamp for that already, so don't waste the $3.

Mic

Tags
equipped guitar , neck relief , wound strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

what couple with x2n
rg421 korea?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode