Cracked neck near head stock - HELP!!!! :-( - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 120
Cracked neck near head stock - HELP!!!! :-(

I own an RG 470 and yesterday I after playing it for a while put it back on my stand and it fell and put an almighty crack right through the neck around the 1st fret, all the way through to the fret board.

I don't know that if this is salvageable, but I hope it is. I'm taking it in to my local music shop to see if they can fix it this afternoon after I finish work. I thought I might ask here first to see if anyones it might be able to get fixed. This is currently my only electric and it holds very a sentimental value to me as it is my first electric that I bought myself when I was fifteen (10 years ago).

I was about to bid on a used Wizard neck off an RG470 off evilbay for a new guitar building project I am about to start. I think I might have to buy the neck just to put my baby back together instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 05:39 PM

Re: Cracked neck near head stock - HELP!!!! :-(

If the shop you brought it to is any good it will probably be just fine. But there is probably only one chance to do it right.
There has been some excellent posts here before about fixing a crack like that. Maybe do a search for it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I've seen these posts, but I'm not too confident with doing it myself, i'm too heavy handed. I'm taking it to someone I've known for quite a long time and they've never done me wrong in the past so hopefully it's able to be saved.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 06:54 PM

I had a Gibson SG once. A sweet one too. It fell and the headstock broke clean off. I went to my local guitar shop and they said they could fix it. So I went to get my guitar which was still at my brother in laws where we had been jamming. What I didn't know was that he took it upon himself to go ahead and fix the guitar. He used C-clamps to clamp it and tightend them so much that they crushed the wood under the area where they were clamped. The wood there was already thin so it made it very weak. The headstock stayed on for a while, but broke again, and again, and again until it was no longer fixable. It didn't break where it had been glued but where the clamps had crushed the soft mahogany. Anyway sorry to ramble on about my old SG but if yours is fixed right it will be as good as new. Good luck with it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I think i'm going to need all the luck I can get with this. I don't really want to have to use the new neck on this, but if I have to it's there, and cheaper than buying another guitar.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti
I had a Gibson SG once. A sweet one too. It fell and the headstock broke clean off. I went to my local guitar shop and they said they could fix it. So I went to get my guitar which was still at my brother in laws where we had been jamming. What I didn't know was that he took it upon himself to go ahead and fix the guitar. He used C-clamps to clamp it and tightend them so much that they crushed the wood under the area where they were clamped. The wood there was already thin so it made it very weak. The headstock stayed on for a while, but broke again, and again, and again until it was no longer fixable. It didn't break where it had been glued but where the clamps had crushed the soft mahogany. Anyway sorry to ramble on about my old SG but if yours is fixed right it will be as good as new. Good luck with it.
Man that sucks!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

Well guitars gone to a repairer and they seem to think they can save the neck. Said they've seen worse, so hopefully happy ending!

Tags
fret board , guitar shop , local guitar shop , local music shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode