Creaking neck and Tuning instability - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Creaking neck and Tuning instability

I just got a used S370 and I am having all sorts of problems with the tuning. In searching this site, I have found two posts that pertain to my problem, but they have not been linked together, and I believe they should be. http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=21569 this covers the issue of having a creaking neck. http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtop...t=edge+tremolo and this covers tuning instability. My guitar has a TRS trem (yes I know they are horrible) but it stays in tune fine, except for when I either dive or pull up there is a creaking noise that comes from my neck. When I push, the tuning goes flat, and when I pull the tuning goes back to normal. I have also noticed that this only occurs when the locking nut it tightened on the strings, when I have not locked down the nut there is no creaking. Options I have considered include buying a new neck, buying a new locking nut, buying an Edge trem and having my guitar routed, installing a trem setter or setting my guitar on fire . If anyone could leave any suggestions as to how I might fix my guitar, it would be greatly appreciated.

E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 06:51 AM
Vendor

First thing is do maintanence and snug all your wood to metal contact points, tuners, nut, neck joint. Necks can still creak, usually once when you first to a dive then it's released the stored the tension, until you pick it up again. The TRS could be a few things, loose part tightened above, pivot point, lack of locking studs, pickguard interference, etc.
Rich is online  
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 11:32 AM

Your neck is probably loose at the neck joint. Remove the tremolo and back the neck screws off. Hold the neck as tight as you can to the heel and reattach the neck as tight as you can.

As for your trem stability, your problems are easily remedied by some knife edge maintenance. TRSes are not junk, they can work every bit as well as an Edge, when properly maintained.

~d~
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I've determined that the problem is due to the locking nut. I can hear and feel the creaking coming from the neck where the nut is attached and when the nut isn't clamped there is no creaking. I probably need to do some knife work too.

Tags
edge trem , locking nut , locking stud , locking studs , neck joint , neck screws , trem setter , trem stability

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode