Custom brass and titanium blocks for Edge and Lo Pro Edge - any interest? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 120
Custom brass and titanium blocks for Edge and Lo Pro Edge - any interest?

I've got the guys at Hantug Guitars (they made the sweet brass and titanium strat bridge for my strat project) looking at making some custom brass and titanium sustain blocks for Edge and Lo Pro Edge bridges.

They should be similarly shaped to the stock units, so no issues with dive or pull-up range, and also have the spring retainer bar, which should suit those who are uncomfortable with not having one hold their springs in place.

Prices should be competitive with other blocks out there, so I thought I might see if there would be any interest in them. I'll have some test units sent to me to test and review to make sure they fit and work well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 04:13 AM

Re: Custom brass and titanium blocks for Edge and Lo Pro Edge - any interest?

I'd be down for one that fits the ZR, i'm currently pretty happy with my OE's blocks
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

I don't have a ZR block to get them to base one off I'm afraid.
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I've always wondered about the properties of a metal that make it "sound good"... Brass and Titanium don't seem to have general physical properties that are all that similar, which makes me wonder if one or the other isn't just a gimic.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

They both sound quite different, definitely not a gimmick. The different makeup of the metals provide just as different a tone.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I've always wondered about the properties of a metal that make it "sound good"... Brass and Titanium don't seem to have general physical properties that are all that similar, which makes me wonder if one or the other isn't just a gimic.
You get this in speaker design. There are two schools of thought.

One says that a speaker cabinet should aim to be 100% rigid and inert. Manufacturers go to great lengths, including solid concrete cabinets, internal bracing, etc, to stop the speaker cabinet interfering with the cones of the drivers.

The other says that since its impossible to make a 100% rigid cabinet, that this is a dead end, and that what we should be doing, is looking for a way to harness the vibrations dispersing within a thin, flexible cabinet, and make them part of the sound rather than trying to get rid of them.

Titanium, going on its vaunted properties in bicycle design, is very compliant and this translates on a bicycle, to being able to better absorb and distribute vibration from road chatter. It may be that the same properties when applied to sustain blocks, allow it to absorb vibration in the same way. Obviously in theory this would be bad but it may have some unexpected effect alike to this.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 08:15 AM

I dont use the trem on my strat so i got a large brass block made to fill the cavity....its heavy... and made the strat brite like a tele....
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 08:27 AM

Here is a review I found; http://www.vintagekramer.com/company74.htm

I have mine blocked but I don't think its common to have the chance to get a custom titanium block, so serious players should at least consider this for their main guitar.

Before blocking I used some heavy magnets to increase weight on my guitars block. To me it actually did increase sustain but didn't have a noticable effect on tone.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

It's that more mass is "supposed" to increase sustain.
Brass has always been favored for it's tonal properties.
Titanium was not used until recently--and I'd love to compare it to brass.
I did notice a difference when I put a brass block on one of my 770s.

post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
I don't have a ZR block to get them to base one off I'm afraid.

Well, it's no biggie.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
You get this in speaker design. There are two schools of thought.

One says that a speaker cabinet should aim to be 100% rigid and inert. Manufacturers go to great lengths, including solid concrete cabinets, internal bracing, etc, to stop the speaker cabinet interfering with the cones of the drivers.

The other says that since its impossible to make a 100% rigid cabinet, that this is a dead end, and that what we should be doing, is looking for a way to harness the vibrations dispersing within a thin, flexible cabinet, and make them part of the sound rather than trying to get rid of them.

Titanium, going on its vaunted properties in bicycle design, is very compliant and this translates on a bicycle, to being able to better absorb and distribute vibration from road chatter. It may be that the same properties when applied to sustain blocks, allow it to absorb vibration in the same way. Obviously in theory this would be bad but it may have some unexpected effect alike to this.
I have no idea if this is the "real" answer but I'll buy it Thank you!
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 02:42 PM

Hmm, if they ever make an Edge Pro version, I'd be interested. I don't like how fat the other's that are currently on the market are (I do quite a bit of diving and pulling-up).

EDIT: Oopsie, didn't notice this was an overseas convo. Still interested though if shipping is reasonable.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

They're not coming from me, but from Hantug Guitars in Turke if they get lift off. Shipping shouldn't be too bad for a small item like a block, and the prices should be comparable with e-Bay and other vendor options.

I'll keep you guys up to date on this.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Here's some photos of the prototype brass Edge Block. As you can see its pretty similar to the stock block, so diving and pull-up range shouldn't be drastically affected. This one will also give you the ability to use up to 5 springs and still have a spring retainer bar attached.

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaestro View Post
Hmm, if they ever make an Edge Pro version, I'd be interested. I don't like how fat the other's that are currently on the market are (I do quite a bit of diving and pulling-up).

EDIT: Oopsie, didn't notice this was an overseas convo. Still interested though if shipping is reasonable.
We'll see how this goes. I've got an Edge Pro block here, maybe we can get it looked at too.

Tags
brass , edge , sustain block , titanium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode