Custom RG Project - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Custom RG Project

Building a Custom RG 2550!

Part purchases complete. Outsourced paint stripping, now onto final sand, stain and assembly...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 02:29 PM

Re: Custom RG Project

Keeping an eye on this
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 04:10 PM

Reviews: 120

That body looks remarkably nice for basswood. Doing a solid colour, or transparent?
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
That body looks remarkably nice for basswood. Doing a solid colour, or transparent?
Looks like an Alder veneer to me. Looks like some kind of veneer anyway; the grain doesn't match at the contour...

For some reason Ibanez puts their veneers on before they do the contouring on their bodies. It really sucks for us refinishers
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 07:40 PM

Reviews: 15

Subscribed!! That tortoise shell pickguard has got my attention.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 08:13 PM

Thumbs up Re: Custom RG Project

Watching this one
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Planning on an ebony stain
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
Looks like an Alder veneer to me. Looks like some kind of veneer anyway; the grain doesn't match at the contour...

For some reason Ibanez puts their veneers on before they do the contouring on their bodies. It really sucks for us refinishers
It's pure basswood. The guy I sent it to removed the paint but didn't remove the sealer on the top which gave it a veneered look. Here it is with the sealer completely sanded off as of yesterday...

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 11:28 AM

This looks like a modder's heaven! Is the ebony stain going to show any wood grain or is it going to be more opaque and all black? Either way though sounds really cool.

Fender has a really cool transparent black finish on their Modern Player Series Telecaster and the underlying brown/red mahogany competes equally with the black stain giving the whole guitar a brown/black vibe.

http://proguitarshop.com/fender-mode...ansparent.html

Of course on a white basswood or alder, it would be more in the black family like on the maple cap of a Les Paul in transparent black stain.

http://magazine.dv247.com/2011/12/07...-faded-review/

What I did on my LTD Viper project was put a slight opaque yellow stain on my white-ish mahogany guitar neck for a few coats and then added a transparent brown walnut stain. I topped it off with many coats of French polish shellac. The grain shows very slightly and there's a cool, vintage limed wood appearance to it. It kind of looks like an aged walnut nitro finish when it gets old and opaque and starts hiding the wood grain.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 03-22-2013 at 11:34 AM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 12:18 PM

cant wait to see the finished beast...
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Smile Re: Custom RG Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
This looks like a modder's heaven! Is the ebony stain going to show any wood grain or is it going to be more opaque and all black? Either way though sounds really cool.

Fender has a really cool transparent black finish on their Modern Player Series Telecaster and the underlying brown/red mahogany competes equally with the black stain giving the whole guitar a brown/black vibe.

http://proguitarshop.com/fender-mode...ansparent.html

Of course on a white basswood or alder, it would be more in the black family like on the maple cap of a Les Paul in transparent black stain.

http://magazine.dv247.com/2011/12/07...-faded-review/

What I did on my LTD Viper project was put a slight opaque yellow stain on my white-ish mahogany guitar neck for a few coats and then added a transparent brown walnut stain. I topped it off with many coats of French polish shellac. The grain shows very slightly and there's a cool, vintage limed wood appearance to it. It kind of looks like an aged walnut nitro finish when it gets old and opaque and starts hiding the wood grain.
Thanks Blazer! I'm looking to let some of the grain show through like the fender example. I was going to do the dark-walnut look originally, but decided to get away from the antique-look. I'm still a little torn between black and red through as I really dig Paul's translucent red Fireman...

...so going with a red stain would give me an RG-version of that with the chrome (non-cosmo) hardware/white pickups, etc.

Hmmm...Choices, choices
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinborne View Post
Thanks Blazer! I'm looking to let some of the grain show through like the fender example. I was going to do the dark-walnut look originally, but decided to get away from the antique-look. I'm still a little torn between black and red through as I really dig Paul's translucent red Fireman...

...so going with a red stain would give me an RG-version of that with the chrome (non-cosmo) hardware/white pickups, etc.

Hmmm...Choices, choices
That red would work really well, too. It would look exactly like what PG would use as a matching guitar for the Fireman.

I have never thought of using a totally different guitar (in this case the trans red Fireman) to be a model for the RG. I have heard of using an RG or Jem, let's say Steve's black one with green pickups, to be a blueprint for another RG mod project, but never across a totally different model. That's a great idea.

When I went to Hard Rock, SF, they had either the real Eric Clapton hippie painted SG or a reasonable recreation, and we sat right under it for lunch. That gave me an idea. Later I bought a very SG-looking LTD/ESP Viper and had a similar vibe paint job done on that. It was easy to get it similar since I had a picture of an SG, and a certain pop art look I was shooting for already burned into my head from that visit to Hard Rock Cafe. It may be hard to translate that idea to a strat or thunderbird. But your guitar is almost all the way there to a Paul Gilbert Fireman other than the shape. A red stain with heavy poly overcoats would probably get that look down perfectly.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 03-22-2013 at 06:09 PM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinborne View Post
It's pure basswood. The guy I sent it to removed the paint but didn't remove the sealer on the top which gave it a veneered look. Here it is with the sealer completely sanded off as of yesterday...

That's cool man... Is that one piece? They must have changed things up for the Prestiges. Wonder if my RG2570 looks like that underneath

All of the 570's and the 470 I stripped had what looked like Alder veneers over 2-3 piece bodies.

BTW I did the back of a RG470 with ebony stain and you can control how black it gets by how many times you wipe the stain on. For example one or two times and it will be transparent with the grain standing out really nicely....
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 08:41 PM

Here's a nice ebony stain over mahogany on Les Paul and it's a nice departure from gloss black. My guess is that this is a white mahogany instead of the red Honduras mahogany they use for higher end models thus the blackness of the stain while retaining a nice grain pattern:

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/1...d-Ebony-Stain/
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 08:48 PM

Reviews: 13

I think the idea of making an RG version of PGs guitar is an awesome idea. It would look very cool and classy.

-Wolfram

Tags
paint stripping , rg2550 , stain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode