Customizing my RG 350 DXZ - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Customizing my RG 350 DXZ

Hi there guys,

First at all I'm a newbie at guitar but not at music, so I really ask for patience in terms of technical talking.

My family gifted to me a Ibanez RG 350 DXZ with a VOX VT40 2 months ago and after playing I found a few annoying issues.

There are 3 topics that I want real information from experienced people to develop myself on the matter:

1st: Buzzing
I tryed to calibrate the guitar and got success with it but not at 100%.
This is not my real problem, so I will visit a luthier soon.

2nd: Floyd System
I have tune problems.
Sometimes when I use the Floyd and when I don't use the guitar for a few days too.

3rd: Pickups
I want to make a customization, I really want to hear something different than the INF pickups that comes with the guitar.

Questions:
1- Is there any posibility to to down the strings to 1mm distance or so from the frets without getting buzzing? This is the same question i'll ask to my luthier hehe but if you can help me I will appreciate it
2- I read a lot about the Edge Zero II tremolo and I think it's the reason of my tune problems. Is there any way to change it?
3- If I decide to change the tremolo system, what brand/model do you recomend and why? It needs ofc to be compatible with my guitar. I don't really want to make some changes on the body.
4- Talking about pickups, imo and ofc this is subjective, my best choise is [Gravity Storm (N) Area 67 (M) Steve's Special (B)] HSH combination. What do you think about it? Will this pickups be compatible with my guitar? Are they compatible between themselves?

Thanks a lot for reading and please make me know if I post on the wrong section or make some mistakes about the usage of the forum.

My english is broken but I think I made my point .

See you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 09:00 PM

Re: Customizing my RG 350 DXZ

Ok... A lot of questions to answer here, so tell me if I miss something...

1. How low is your action height? (distance from bottom of string to top of fret) Measure at 24th fret on high e and low e strings, for easy playing (this is preference, but low is generally preferred) action on high e string should be roughly 1.2-2mm (3-5/64") and low action on low E string should be roughly
1.5-2.2mm (4-5.5/64').
I'm too lazy to explain neck relief here , but this is the holy grail of ibanez setups. Use it: http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/ .

By the way, some buzzing is okay nut plugged in, but you shouldn't hear any on the clean channel of your amp.

Tighter (higher gauge) strings tend to buzz less. I use 10-46 for e tuning, 11-49 for eb tuning, and 12-54 for D and drop C

2. Regarding your tuning problems, refer to this page: http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setu..._stability.htm
Don't worry about buying a new trem, the edge zero ii is a great bridge which will stay in tune through any abuse (Also it will be tricky to find a retrofitting bridge).

3. This is all preference, what genre of music do you play? All Dimarzio pickups are compatible with each other and the guitar (including Gravity Storm, Area 67, and Steve's Special). Go for the f spaced versions for an rg. I recommend the Tone Zone/Air Norton, Crunch lab/liquifire, Paf pro set, and super distortion set. A lot of folks around here love the Evolutions, but they are too grindy sounding for my taste (again, preference matters here. No quality pickup is "better" than another).

I hope I covered everything, reply with questions.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Hey!

First at all I bought the pickups 2 days ago and installed them without any problem.
I bought an Air Norton instead of a Gravity Storm!
The guitar sounds awesome now!!!

Talking about the trem as you said I decided this week to give it a try to my EZII.
The tune problems still happening , but didn't know about that IBANEZ RULES page, so let me check it out a bit, It seems to be pretty interesting at the first look!

Thanks for the answer, really appreciated!!!!!
Have a nice day.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMMagneto View Post
Hey!

First at all I bought the pickups 2 days ago and installed them without any problem.
I bought an Air Norton instead of a Gravity Storm!
The guitar sounds awesome now!!!

Talking about the trem as you said I decided this week to give it a try to my EZII.
The tune problems still happening , but didn't know about that IBANEZ RULES page, so let me check it out a bit, It seems to be pretty interesting at the first look!

Thanks for the answer, really appreciated!!!!!
Have a nice day.
Yeah, I love the sound of the air norton. I've never played with a gravity storm though.

Tags
rg 350 dxz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode