detuning, do I have to block the trem? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

detuning, do I have to block the trem?

hey all.

Do i have to block the trem when i want to detune?, what if i want to keep the trem so i can do some whammy stuff when guitar is detuned?

what is the best way to detune the guitar, and keep the trem (edge pro) in its natural floating position?

thanks

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 02:06 AM

Sadly you're going to have real problems if you want to change tunings often.

You simply can't do it with a FR type bridge.

You just can't, unless you block it, as you said in your post.

You can block it so that it will only go down (drop pitch) and not up, and you'll be able to change tunings, but it's still a pain with the locking nut to change you tuning radically.
You have to unlock the nut, tune, lock the nut, fine tune . . . and if you tune down far enough the part of the string that was under the locking pad is going to drop out from under the pad, and this can cause problems with tone and intonation since no matter how gently you lock the nut, it still deforms the string a little.

If you MUST have a guitar that you can retune, either block the trem totally and change the nut, or simply get a fixed bridge guitar to use for odd tunings.

Mic
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

thanks for info m8

but lets take vai for example, he pulls up (alot) and down on his whammy in "The Boy From Seattle" distored part, while guitar is detuned.. how did he do it then?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 09:22 AM

You could also mention Bad Horsie to give an example of Vai using low tuning . . .

It's very simple how he does it, he has certain guitars set up for those tunings.

He has more guitars than he can count (I read somewhere that he was given a Jem 333 by Ibanez to approve for manufacture and doesn't know where he put it), and he travels with a small army of guitars.

You can set up a FR properly with any tuning you want, it's just a pain in the tucas to CHANGE tunings OFTEN on ONE guitar. If you have 10 guitars you can have them all tuned differently, and each one can be set up properly (trem angle, action, neck bow) for that tuning.

With one guitar that has a floating trem, you would have to put up with the trem angle and the action changing (also a fairly long tuning process to boot) every time you want to change tunings, unless you block the trem. Either put up with that, or do a complete setup on the trem EVERY time . . . again, pain in the tucas.

There are devices that you can install that will lock the trem in place with the flick of a lever, or whatever (I've never actually played with one) and you can retune with the bridge locked with one of these.
You still have to worry about the string at the locking nut, and you can't use the bar while the tuning is changed (well, you can, but you have to unlock it, use the bar and lock it agian else your tuning will be all over the place when you let go of the bar), but again you see the drawbacks to this as well.

Plain and simple, if you want to chage tunings often, block or fixed, simply one of the "problems" you have to live with when you have a floating trem.

If you're not using odd tunings, just tuning down (like to play to a recording where the guitars are tuned down) you can use a pitch shifter, either one for the guitar to tune it down to the recording, or on the recording itself, to tune it up to your guitar . . . but some pitch shifters sound like crap, so get a good one if you go this road. ;-)

Mic
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info mic..

I guess have to setup the guitar all over to have whammy power while detuned

ill try it out and let you know how it goes

Tags
fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , locking nut , neck bow , pitch shifter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode