The difference between the Wizard and the Wizard II neck - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Question The difference between the Wizard and the Wizard II neck

Hi everybody,

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the difference is, between the Wizard neck and the Wizard II neck.

I own an S470 which has the Wizard II neck. That neck is U-shaped, which is cool, but I really prefer a C-shaped neck. And then one which is thin. The neck on my S470 is cool and thin, but because it's U-shaped there is a lot of wood at the outer edges of the neck, forcing me to change my technique when I play chords using my thumb to fret the bass note, for instance.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is?

Kind regards,
Myst and rain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 10:00 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: The difference between the Wizard and the Wizard II neck

http://www.jemsite.com/jem/necks.htm

wizard is thinner front to back and a bit more unstable. i'd rather not comment on C-U shaped as this is highly subjective... it's best to actually try them if you're that picky... glen
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
http://www.jemsite.com/jem/necks.htm

wizard is thinner front to back and a bit more unstable. i'd rather not comment on C-U shaped as this is highly subjective... it's best to actually try them if you're that picky... glen
Thank you.

What do you mean exactly with the Wizard neck being a bit more unstable? It sounds like that's a bad thing.

I actually am very picky. Little differences in the neck shape, make big differences when it come to how the guitar plays, I find.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 11:11 PM

I really prefer the Wizard I to the II. It just feels so much more comfortable.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 03:38 PM

I had a guitar with a wizard 2 neck for a week, and exchanged it for one with an original wizard neck, mostly just to get the thinner neck and the change in the neck profile. Like you said, the extra wood near the edges of the neck on the wizard 2 does not fit the hand well. I've previously avoided thinner necks, but I like the original wizard. It is comfortable. And I can play above the 12th fret just like I play at the nut. It's awesome. You should definitley try it out.

Tags
neck shape

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode