DiMarzio Cliplok Straps - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

DiMarzio Cliplok Straps

Will the rear clip scratch the guitar? How hard do you have to push the clips to get them off?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 03:05 AM

Re: DiMarzio Cliplok Straps

nah they do not scratch the guitar, not too hard
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 05:38 AM

mine has scratched the paint on my 570, because its only a thin layer, but has done nothing to my 560. and i've never had one come outof its socket.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 12:57 PM

If you're concerned about potential scratches, you can cut to size and stick on the soft half of a velcro strip to the inner surface of the clip that's on the but-end of the guitar. Makes a nice, soft buffer between the guitar and the clip.

This biggest problem is accidentally closing a tight case while the clip is sitting on the top of the guitar. The previous owner of my JPM-P1 did that and made a nice ding.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 11:48 PM

The rear lock WILL scratch/chip up the finish. I use cliploks on my strats and unfinished guitars, but Schaller locks on guitars I want protect the finish.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 02:23 PM

It apparently chipped and gnawed away at my RG520's finish over the years... It looks pretty bad, although it's in the back, just around the corner where the strap lock ends reach. It's a gigging guitar and stuff is bound to happen, but I wish I had known that issue previously as I could've possibly prevented it with something like velcro, as suggested above.

It's kinda interesting, because the strap lock ends themselves don't directly touch the body when the guitar is on you, so I think it happens when you're taking the guitar off/putting it on, as the angle of the strap changes. I'm trying to be careful with my JPM, which also has the DiMarzio strap lock, but I'm also thinking about padding it one way or another.

It makes you wonder though... how come all of the big guys (Satch, Vai, JP, etc.) are all using it on their precious guitars? It must work well-enough for them, right?!?!?!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 02:50 PM

Reviews: 18
Smile Re: DiMarzio Cliplok Straps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiveman View Post
It makes you wonder though... how come all of the big guys (Satch, Vai, JP, etc.) are all using it on their precious guitars? It must work well-enough for them, right?!?!?!
Well, guys like Steve and JP don't really care if the finish gets screwed or not. I haven't seen Joe use cliplocks in a long time (if ever). He has used Dunlops and schallers but I don't remember seeing him use dimarzios before (aside from the JS10). He has had dimarzio straps but I still can't recall seeing straplocks on his axes.

Nevertheless, those pro's could really care less b/c most of their prized posessions are usually stored away and not on tour.

Jimmy
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrhea View Post
If you're concerned about potential scratches, you can cut to size and stick on the soft half of a velcro strip to the inner surface of the clip that's on the but-end of the guitar. Makes a nice, soft buffer between the guitar and the clip.

This biggest problem is accidentally closing a tight case while the clip is sitting on the top of the guitar. The previous owner of my JPM-P1 did that and made a nice ding.
nice idea, i use a padding that came on my guitar when it's in the case, and i got a scratch paint chip from my strap so i think i'm going to do that velcro idea.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
...Nevertheless, those pro's could really care less b/c most of their prized posessions are usually stored away and not on tour...
Right, but I wouldn't quite say that they use beaters for live performances either. Maybe JS was a bad example, but that's beside the point. And maybe they don't use their MOST prized possessions live, but I would guess that they rely on the "better" of their guitars to carry through in a live performance. Although they could probably replace them easily, I would be reluctant to believe that they wouldn't care bout them that much. Yet they still use cliplok straps... I just wonder if they're being extra careful, not-caring at all, or their guitar techs put a little "custom-work" into it (velcro or something). You never know! ;-)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 06:15 AM

I've never noticed any scratches caused by the DiMarzio Cliplocks before, and I have used a fair few of them now for a long long time. Imo they are still the best straps around, and I have no reason to try anything else ever. I'm sure they might cause some very light surface scratches/marks on the clear coat, but then again, all straps probably do that. At the end of the day, it's not big enough of a deal to worry about it. But I couldnt care less if the finish gets scratched or not, so I might not have the eagle eye like others do.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 08:03 AM

On my swirl it's got a real thick top layer and the locks only caused a small surface scrap, hardly noticable. My mates RG1570 on the other hand has such a thin coating it's taken the paint off, thats with any strap. I don't rate new ibanez finishes at all. You can just peal the paint off.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 06:58 PM

Reviews: 4

Mine didn't scratch. (I have almost every guitar with a ClipLok.)
However, when I put my guitars in the case, I use a soft cloth to put between the body and the bottom strap.

No issues whatsoever!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
I haven't seen Joe use cliplocks in a long time (if ever). He has used Dunlops and schallers but I don't remember seeing him use dimarzios before (aside from the JS10). He has had dimarzio straps but I still can't recall seeing straplocks on his axes.

Jimmy
That's cause now he has Planet waves signature straps. He drws the pictures I think you've sen them. Planet waves are made by D'Addario.

I just bought a black strap with Joes drawing of purpple skulls to match my purple RG.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 03:27 AM

I have an SA with a weathered brown finish, and the clip locks do scratch it up a bit, but the finish isn't typical to begin with.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 05:39 AM
Banned

I've been using Dimarzio straplocks since the 80s, and not once have they contributed to any damage on the guitars.

Tags
clear coat , dimarzio cliplock , dimarzio strap , guitar tech , planet waves , strap lock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode