Dimarzio pickup wiring - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 58
Dimarzio pickup wiring

I knoww thers probably a billion things about wiring pickups, but meh.. I dont care. So I bought these Dimarzio pickups off of Jemsites own spkenn5 ( thanks again btw), and now once I do actually buy tone and volume pots, and all that good junk I'll hook em up.
So... thing is I dont know how to hook them up, so I would gladly appreciate any feed back/tips/experiences, on how to do it. I'm a complete noob when it comes to this.
The pickups are
Dimarzio Tone Zone for the bridge
Dimarzio FS-1 for the middle
Dimarzio Paf Pro for the neck

going in an ibanez body, so I'll have a 5 way selector swich.

sooo yeah thats for the help (((:

ps: anyone selling any Ibanez electronics? already hooked up? so I wont have to do it lol
Van-Hannam is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 04:32 PM
 
jaxadam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 3,300
Re: Dimarzio pickup wiring

Here's the best way to wire them up.



Get a soldering gun, some 60/40 rosin core solder, and connect the wires to the switch just like you see here.

When you connect the black wire from the FS-1 to the switch, and the red to ground, it reverses the polarity so that you won't get the hum in the 2 & 4 positions.

Great combo, I think you'll like it. It might be a little bit of a pain, and you might burn yourself a few times!
jaxadam is offline  
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 04:47 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: usa
Posts: 2,612
Re: Dimarzio pickup wiring

Try here also:

http://www.ibanez.com/support/wiringdiagrams.aspx
jemplayer55 is offline  
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 58
Re: Dimarzio pickup wiring

thanks guys ! i think i can understand the first onee hah
Van-Hannam is offline  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 58
Re: Dimarzio pickup wiring

so what does it meen by "ground"
Van-Hannam is offline  
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 58
Re: Dimarzio pickup wiring

and which pot is which? in the picture
Van-Hannam is offline  
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 08:25 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 235
Re: Dimarzio pickup wiring

the pot with the capacitor soldered to it is the Tone (always)

the capacitor is the brown square thing on the wiring diagram.


on pickups their are either 2 or 4 wires (can be 5 sometimes e.g my Bill Lawrence P.ups)

2 wires : single coil. 1 hot tip, 1 ground
4 wires : humbucker. 1 hot tip, 1 ground, then another 2 wires (1 for the north pole, 1 for the south pole, help you to split the pickups if you have a push pull)


get some more info on the wiring colors here

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/cat...kupcolorcodes/
choubix is offline  
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 09:53 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Granite City Illinois
Posts: 804
Reviews: 2
Re: Dimarzio pickup wiring

http://www.ibanez.com/support/wiringdiagrams.aspx

this is the diagram you probably need depending on your switch type;the white wires on the right hand side of the switch will be dimarzio black and white together.
LuredMaul is offline  
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 08:27 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 29
Re: Dimarzio pickup wiring

Just out of interest, Can anyone give me advice on a problem which occured today.

I installed a Dimarzio Fred into my RG along with a SD Distortion. I wired it up exactly how Dimarzio says and it doesnt seem to be grounded properly. The SD is noisless. The Fred is very old, say about 10+ years.

Red wire = Switch

Bare + green = Volume Pot

Black + white Solidered together and taped up.

Any suggestions as to why im getting this annying buzz, its not as bad as a single coil slected on its own (middle position on the selector)
the80sroklej is offline  
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 09:24 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Granite City Illinois
Posts: 804
Reviews: 2
Re: Dimarzio pickup wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by the80sroklej View Post
Just out of interest, Can anyone give me advice on a problem which occured today.

I installed a Dimarzio Fred into my RG along with a SD Distortion. I wired it up exactly how Dimarzio says and it doesnt seem to be grounded properly. The SD is noisless. The Fred is very old, say about 10+ years.

Red wire = Switch

Bare + green = Volume Pot

Black + white Solidered together and taped up.

Any suggestions as to why im getting this annying buzz, its not as bad as a single coil slected on its own (middle position on the selector)

Check your solder connections again....if not that could be a broken wire somewhere
LuredMaul is offline  
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 02:52 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 29
Re: Dimarzio pickup wiring

hmm, I have a feeling its the second. As it was giving this slight un-grounded sound in the guitar I ripped it out of.
the80sroklej is offline  
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 09:15 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4
Re: Dimarzio pickup wiring

Hi man, I have the same problem with these dimarzios that replaced my stock pups. The noise seems to appear when I connect the white and black wires together to the switch for coil split. Have you found any solution?
Pagano is offline  
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 05:42 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 29
Re: Dimarzio pickup wiring

To be honest with you, I never solved it, but it isn't that bad really, its just a real slight un-grounded sound. If yours is major try re-soldering all connections and if that fails to work try wiggleing each wire when connected to try and find the faulty wire. Not sure what else you could do really.
the80sroklej is offline  
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 01:41 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 61
Re: Dimarzio pickup wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
Here's the best way to wire them up.



Get a soldering gun, some 60/40 rosin core solder, and connect the wires to the switch just like you see here.

When you connect the black wire from the FS-1 to the switch, and the red to ground, it reverses the polarity so that you won't get the hum in the 2 & 4 positions.

Great combo, I think you'll like it. It might be a little bit of a pain, and you might burn yourself a few times!
Looks like a good diagram,and I need a easy to go by but I am confused about why this diagram shows no ground wire connected to the tremolo claw? Like every guitar I ever seen. Does the wiring in this pictation eliminate the tremolo ground? Or should I just know where it goes already? Cause I dont. I may just pop the cover off my Jem and use it to go by,but I hate to go thru all that on top of building a guitar. Any advice please shoot to [email protected] Thanks akjc1977
AKJC1977 is offline  
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,291
Reviews: 98
Re: Dimarzio pickup wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKJC1977 View Post
Looks like a good diagram,and I need a easy to go by but I am confused about why this diagram shows no ground wire connected to the tremolo claw? Like every guitar I ever seen. Does the wiring in this pictation eliminate the tremolo ground? Or should I just know where it goes already? Cause I dont. I may just pop the cover off my Jem and use it to go by,but I hate to go thru all that on top of building a guitar. Any advice please shoot to [email protected] Thanks akjc1977
Most wiring diagrams don't show the ground, as it's a common element in every guitar.



AlaskaBat is offline  
Reply

Tags
coil split , dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , dimarzio tone , dimarzio tone zone , paf pro , tone zone , volume pots , wiring diagram

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for online dealer to order Dimarzio pickup from toneboy Pickups & wiring 14 04-05-2006 08:47 AM
FS: DiMarzio PAF Pickup - Black TAorama Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 4 06-03-2005 11:18 PM
Dimarzio pickup Covers Shredcows Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 1 03-02-2005 10:27 AM
Pickup wiring - i need your help! Bod Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 2 09-22-2002 11:07 PM
Pickup Issue.. - Problem with wiring? MrBungle Pickups & wiring 5 04-15-2002 09:03 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome