DIY LED Fretboard? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

DIY LED Fretboard?

Obviously, this came to mind after watching the Vai DVD . I did a search but found nothing.

Anyone knows how to put LED's in your fretboard? I guess the actual inlaying can be done by any decent tech, but I would like to know how to design the circuit itself.

This is one of those projects that I contemplate a long time and then of course never realize, but it would be cool to know anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 09:25 PM

check here:

http://www.simscustom.com/

wil..
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 09:30 PM

so who's are these?

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 09:40 PM

Re: DIY LED Fretboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprile
Anyone knows how to put LED's in your fretboard? I guess the actual inlaying can be done by any decent tech, but I would like to know how to design the circuit itself.
Well the circuit is rather simple. Depending on the LED's you are using and the batteries, all you need to do is wire up a resistor and you're done.

I've got a little formula that you can use to figure out which resistor you need.

wil..
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I did see the Sims site, but I also saw their prices!
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 12:54 AM

Their prices aren't that bad if you consider what they are doing. You just don't want it bad enough..lol

You can do the "neck only" option, and it's cheaper right now. They have some kinda deal with that...otherwise they charge you the reassembly fee for your guitar and all that. It's easy to put your guitar back together and set it up...
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhnaten
Their prices aren't that bad if you consider what they are doing. You just don't want it bad enough..lol

You can do the "neck only" option, and it's cheaper right now. They have some kinda deal with that...otherwise they charge you the reassembly fee for your guitar and all that. It's easy to put your guitar back together and set it up...
hehe...that's the view of someone who lives in a developed country. Here, manual labor is very very cheap, which of course includes luthiers (for instance, a full refret, top quality, would be about $80US!) If I got the circuit schematic and the actual LEDs, the cost of this mod would be a very small fraction of the SIMS shop, not to mention shipping back and forth to the UK
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 02:43 AM

I see...and point taken.

For me, it was an okay deal. I have one done, and a neck that will be done in side dots once I get off my ass and send it to LGM first.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 04:24 AM
OME

Reviews: 6
You can get the LED and resistors + power supply at any Radio Shack
As far as lenses I wouldn't know what to use, unless you fill
the holes for the LED with clear epoxy, like th Hot Rodders do with
their dashboards.

As far as prices on having it done at a custom shop...hehe..I always
say..I could buy another guitar for that price and I'd most likely
buy another guitar instead
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 05:08 PM

My pc has an antec led array tha changes colors slowly or you can set it to certain colors the array would fit in a fretboard but we are talking about 10 times the leds that are in the sims system right now. To power an entire neck you would need at least a 300 watt power supply :O
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
To power an entire neck you would need at least a 300 watt power supply :O
30,000 LEDs?
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
My pc has an antec led array tha changes colors slowly or you can set it to certain colors the array would fit in a fretboard but we are talking about 10 times the leds that are in the sims system right now. To power an entire neck you would need at least a 300 watt power supply :O
what are you talking about??

That antec led array runs off the 12volt rail from your psu... Your PSU might be 300 watt, but that little molex plug that plugs into the LED array is only providing 12volt max to it.

300 watt... don't think so....
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 02:34 PM
OME

Reviews: 6
The LED's on the guitar neck are all run in parallel, with
a resistor at each connection or one resistor at the power source.

I do wonder how often the LED's would need to be replaced.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 03:21 PM

One reason why LED lighting systems are becoming so popular is because they last in the tens of thousands of hours.

My hot tub has an LED array for its underwater lighting, and it plugs into a 12v bulb socket.

I'm dying for automotive replacement LEDs that fit in standard sockets to become more widely available. My car tends to eat turn signal and brake light bulbs like mad. It's be nice to install a set of LED replacements that would last for the life of the car.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 06:39 AM
dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by OME
The LED's on the guitar neck are all run in parallel, with
a resistor at each connection or one resistor at the power source.
My guess would be that they are run in serial with only 1 resistor at the battery.
I have a sneaky suspicion that an array of 12 (or 24) LEDs run in serial of a 9v battery might not need a resistor at all.

Maplin Electronics have a Xmas Tree kit with 134 3mm LEDs going for £5.99 so if I was interested I could test it but really can't see the point of these LEDs and it's not the electronics that scare me.
It's the fretboard removal and reatachment that may ruin a perfectly good guitar, just so you can light it up.

ilia

Tags
custom shop , fret board , fret markers , martin sims

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode