DIY repair for damaged V - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

DIY repair for damaged V

Hey guys,wish to get rid of this guitar but don't wanna sell it broken. It's a Japanese rr-3. Shops would charge a fortune. Anyone did similar work at home ?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b17/Man0warrioR/IMG_20150727_201549_zpsxtafels6.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b17/Man0warrioR/IMG_20150727_201619_zpszofbxeiv.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b17/Man0warrioR/IMG_20150727_201644_zpsag6ivvue.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 03:09 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: DIY repair for damaged V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man0warrioR View Post
Hey guys,wish to get rid of this guitar but don't wanna sell it broken. It's a Japanese rr-3. Shops would charge a fortune. Anyone did similar work at home ?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psxtafels6.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...pszofbxeiv.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psag6ivvue.jpg

It can be done, but the cost to fix this body (including paint) would be MUCH higher than just finding a replacement body.......I fugure you would have $350-$400 in repairs. Alternatively, you can buy a very good condition body for under $100 on ebay
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 06:32 PM

Chips like that are pretty common on those pointy style V's. The repairs aren't that hard and don't cost too much to do yourself, just very time consuming to do correctly. It's not quite as simple as a quick touch up with a dab of paint. In your case you'd probably have to strip the finish off, do the repairs then refinish everything... which is why the shops would charge you an arm and a leg, it's a time consuming process.

If I were you I'd go ahead and sell it as is as a fixer upper. The cost of bringing it into a shop, or even the time and hassle to DIY wouldn't justify the bit of extra money you'd get.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 10:10 PM

I have done some touch up work to pointy guitars like this You have to sand the point down in a way that it is harder to notice. So if wood is missing you have to sand it back to a smooth surface. Take some paint, spray paint or whatever hit and let dry. Get some super glue and some super glue accelerator and start building a finish around the chipped area. You will get super glue on you and probably other parts of the guitar. Just do the best you can taping everything off.

Once you have a big ugly looking coat of super glue you can scrape it down using a razor blade and some 60 or 80 grit. Keep scraping, sanding and back filling with super glue as long as it takes to get a uniform surface. Once you have that you can start working back up through the sanding grits from 80 all the way up to 5,000. Then you can take meguiars' ultimate compound and polish it up. You may want to follow up with meguiars' polish.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Wow thanks guys! This forum is quite the place

RGTFanatic, that idea for a new body is great. Ill look out.

I have seen the superglue/sanding videos but attempting it would be a different game. Pardon my ignorance, would just putting a little wood fill/super glue fill and then sanding plus spray painting to blend, work at all ?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 01:34 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Wow thanks guys! This forum is quite the place

RGTFanatic, that idea for a new body is great. Ill look out.

I have seen the superglue/sanding videos but attempting it would be a different game. Pardon my ignorance, would just putting a little wood fill/super glue fill and then sanding plus spray painting to blend, work at all ?
You certainly can go that route. I always support anyone that want to "get their hands dirty" modding or repairing their guitar....especially with a less expensive instrument like this. Just don't have too high of expectations for the first try.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
would just putting a little wood fill/super glue fill and then sanding plus spray painting to blend, work at all ?
You could do that if you just want to do some patch work. If you go that route, as RGT said don't expect the best results. A quick touch up of paint and a little varnish should be good enough to prodect the wood and look alright from a few feet away.

If you want a nice looking repair that hardly noticable it's a little more involved. You'll have to fix up any wood chips, do the paint touch up then fill in with layers of clear. The wood repair, painting, and clearcoat isn't a big deal to apply. The hard part is blending everthing so it looks right. It's not impossible but is rather difficult to blend properly especially when working with 2 different finishes. Most home repais usually stick out like a sore thumb (usually because it's done as a patch and not a full repair). I don't want to discourage you from attempting a repair I just don't want you to go in with the wrong expectations if you do try to repair it.

If you do go for a repair here's the process. First mask off the area you'll be working on so you don't accidentally damage anything else while working. If you have wood chips you'll need to sand it smooth to blend it. If it's a deep chip you can fill it with some wood putty then sand everything flush. If it's too big of a chunk you may need to cut that area out and splice in a new piece of wood. From you pics it looks like a quick sand will do the trick. After you get any wood repairs done you can move on to touching up with paint. You can pretty much use any type of paint you have available
just make sure the color matches. After the paint is good & dry get yourself some cyanoacrylate (super glue) and start building layers. Do your best to not get the super glue everywhere (easier said than done sometimes). Once you get your layers built up start scraping and sanding it flush. You'll probably have to go back and forth a little from filling to scraping & sanding back to filling then more scraping & sanding. The goal here is is to get the repair area flush with the old finish. Once you have everything flush & level move on to buffing and polishing. Start out by wetsanding (water with 1 drop of dishsoap) with 320-400 grit sandpaper. Then wetsand moving through progressivelly higher grits; 600 - 800 - 1200 - 1500 - 2000 grit. What you're doing here is first removing any initial marks with the lower grit paper. As you move through the higher grits you are wanting to remove the scratch marks from the lower grit you just used. By the time you get to the 2000 grit you should be working with just some light swirl marks and a slightly dull finish. You can go higher than 2000 grit if you feel you need to. *** Here is where you need to make a decesion based on the look of the rest of the body. Does the wear and tear on the rest of the body match up with your repair? If it does you can stop here. If the repair is noticably duller than the rest of the body then move on to polishing compounds. Get a clean cotton cloth and some fine cut polishing compound. I like the 3M brand but any will do. After buffing you will be left with very light swirl marks. Again compare the repair area to the rest of the body. Does it match well or should it be polished a little more? If you need to polish a little more hit the repairs with some swirl remover. If you have taken your time and done everything well, at this point you should have a repair that blends seamlessly with the rest of the guitar and should be pretty unnoticable.

That's pretty much the whole process. Now keep in mind on paper it doesn't seem to be too difficult. The difficulty really comes from having the patience and steady hand to get the blending of everything just right so it's unnoticable. Also don't expect to blaze through this in an afternoon, it's going to be pretty time consuming. Expect to spend a good couple of days or more on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode