Do early RG550 Maple Necks have a Finish on them? Gorgomyte? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By j.arledge
  • 2 Post By jim777

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Do early RG550 Maple Necks have a Finish on them? Gorgomyte?

Hey all,

I have a mint 1991 RG550 so there is no wear on the maple fretboard. However the frets could really use a polish and I usually use Gorgomyte cloth. Don't really need to do the whole board, just the frets.

Never had another maple fretboard. Is there a protective finish on here? I've read the Gorgomyte will discolor it if there isn't.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 11:43 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: Do early RG550 Maple Necks have a Finish on them? Gorgomyte?

my 89 has a clearcoat (well, what's left of one) on the fretboard...d.m.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 01:30 AM

if you need to polish up your frets, you can buy some blue painters tape and use it to tape off the frets. Then you can take 0000 steal wool or 1200 and 1500 grit sand paper to polish and clean. You can use a deoxidizer like McGuire's swirl-X or Scratch-X on a finished neck. I wouldn't recommend those two on a raw wood like ebony or rosewood but for finished maple, it works like a champ.
jim777 likes this.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 06:57 AM

Neither my 550 or 570 have any finish on the fingerboard.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I can't tell if there's a thin clear coat or not. The back of the neck obviously has something, the fret board is real smooth too so I'm guessing it does. Just to be safe I went and bought some blue painter's tape and will stop being lazy.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
if you need to polish up your frets, you can buy some blue painters tape and use it to tape off the frets. Then you can take 0000 steal wool or 1200 and 1500 grit sand paper to polish and clean. You can use a deoxidizer like McGuire's swirl-X or Scratch-X on a finished neck. I wouldn't recommend those two on a raw wood like ebony or rosewood but for finished maple, it works like a champ.
This is what I do when necessary, though I also put some tape sticky side up on the pickups as the magnets will attract the little bits of metal dust this will shake loose.
Hoseki and dolemitehc like this.

Tags
fretboard , gorgomyte , maple , rg550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode