do i need to shim my neck - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

do i need to shim my neck

the action on my rg550 isnt bad but it gets progressively higher towards the 24th fret, would shimming the neck also help with up bends on the trem i.e. stop the trem cutting out when higher notes are fretted and then bent upwards with the trem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 07:29 PM

Shimming your nut only helps you to raise your bridge, allowing for bigger "pull ups" with the bar. It will not help you if you have notes fretting out.

If you cannot get your action low enough because the bridge posts are as far down as they can go, then a neck shim should help you. Otherwise, there's no inherent benefit to shimming the neck.

Good luck!
~d~
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

the notes choke slightly on the 22nd fret on the top e (thin one) and on the 14th fret.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 06:20 PM
Vendor

Your problem is in the frets, something is high, or something is low.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 03:27 PM

I have the opinion that a shim under the neck, will result in less contact between the neck and body, and cause a loss in sustain. But hey, that's just my opinion.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 09:41 PM

Quote:
I have the opinion that a shim under the neck, will result in less contact between the neck and body, and cause a loss in sustain. But hey, that's just my opinion.
Technically true. BUT i you wouldn't be able to tell the difference by ear - no way.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 03:09 PM

Yes, but as we say in sweden. "många bäckar små". What I'm saying, is that alot of little things can together make a difference.
For example if the neck is loose, and the strings are old and the saddles are worn. The difference between a good guitar and a great guitar are small details.[/quote]
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johank
I'd agree.... so, if i need to shim the neck, I cut out a shim that fills the neck cavity entirely, and raises the neck rather than changes its angle. probably a little on the anal side, but it gives a flush contact between neck and body, and the neck screws go in at right angles (even more anal)

Tags
neck screws , neck shim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode