Do I need to shim my neck pocket? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
Do I need to shim my neck pocket?

Hey, guys. I've got a RG520 with an original edge. The action is between 1.7mm and 2.0mm, can't get a great measurement, but that's as close as my ruler will tell me. The pullup range is a perfect 4th on the G string before it frets out. The knives are sitting below the body, just out of sit if looking down the body - I've heard this is a bad thing, it should be slightly above the body. I'm looking to lower my action as much as possible, while still having a maximum pullup range, able to bend at least 1 1/2 steps on the B and E strings and no buzz.

I've already shimmed it with a folded light business card (a single fold), fitting the dimensions showed on rich's site, and it has seemed to work a little, but should I continue this until I get the knives visable again and get lower action, and once thats done, should the pullup range be greater? I'm hoping to get a 5th of pullup.

Last edited by fwd0120; 04-08-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 11:55 AM

Re: Do I need to shim my neck pocket?

hey man, just went through this myself. basically your knife edges are okay anywhere in that area as long as they arent too low or high. keep em somewhere in the middle (mine are just above the cavity). now if you want the trem and knife edges higher then put a larger shim in the guitar. when you put in a larger shim it will also increase your pull up range, but in my case i just gave up and was satisfied with the okay pull up range and great action. you can do it, its easy. try a larger shim.

also worth mentioning is that you have to raise your action for more pull up range.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! Right now my action is somewhere between 1.5mm and 2.0 at the 24th fret. the neck relief is to low too measure really, i'm doing the thing rich does, capo 1st, fret the 24th and check the 9th. right now it can pull up a perfect 4th on the G before it frets out. the fretting out is the only thing stopping it, not actually the actual pullup range of having the trem too low. would this be remedied by a larger shim, or should i look for something else?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 04:16 PM

Dont mean to steal your thread, but what's a shim? Enlgish is not my first language and I'm trying to acomplish the same thing on my rg1570
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Hey, no problem - http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/wh...him-59356.html .

Thanks for the free bump, too!!

Also: there is a very helpful search function where you can use various keywords and will display relevant threads. Also at the bottom of each thread page there is a list of relevant searches and relevant threads (can be found at the bottom of this page)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 10:20 PM

from what rich told me, if you need more pull up range then put in a larger shim or raise your action. i never could get mine 100 percent, but i settled on okay pull up range and awesome action. good luck man
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Hey, thanks! I think I've settled on a good setup. Right now the action is 1.5mm @ t6he 24th fret. and I've got a perfect 4th on the G-string. I'm sure I could probably go lower and shim it again. but i have a cut/doubled over business card in there, and it does the job nicely. I don't really want to go any lower, because I like to get a really get good grip on the string, i'm a freak about having "perfect" vibrato lol!. Plus, I don't have any buzz anywhere, and i'm just too lazy to do this all over again .

Thanks!,
Frank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode