Do you put your guitars back into the case after playing/take the strap off? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Question Do you put your guitars back into the case after playing/take the strap off?

I was wondering if you guys always out your guitar(s) back into the case(s) after playing or if you leave them out on a stand or hanging on the wall.

If you do put them into the case, do you take the strap off every time?

Reason I'm asking is: the strap-buttons on my Ibanez guitars are rather big, so it does take a little effort to get the strap off, which is not a problem, but I was worried maybe the screw holding the strap button might get loosened in the long run be repeatedly taking off the strap and putting it back on. Also, the leather on the strap gets softer on the part holding the guitar when doing this more often which might result in a strap popping off while playing standing up.
Anybody else ever thought of this?
Or am I worrying about something not worth worrying about?

Thanks,
Lars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 03:06 PM

Reviews: 15
Re: Do you put your guitars back into the case after playing/take the strap off?

I've always put my guitars back in their cases when I was done playing. I've never had any issues with my Ibanez's, but the strap buttons on my Fender Squier had to be fixed a few times in roughly 20 years now. Most of my straps have stood the test of time, but it's always nice to buy a new one once in a while.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 03:20 PM

Re: Do you put your guitars back into the case after playing/take the strap off?

Mine all sit on a rack..... I didnt even buy cases for them all.....
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 03:48 PM

Mine go in the cases, mo strap.
I use a needle nose pliers to open up new straps so they go on the Ibanez guitars without so much effort.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 05:50 PM

ever considered straplocks?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 10:31 PM

of course, back to the case, strap off.

but there was a time when I was intentionally leave my guitar with strap on and put to anywhere else so it will collect dust and dings and scratch.
so my guitar will collect battle scars.

sounds stupid right... ?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 11:38 PM

Errr strap on, hanging on the wall. If I cased them, it would be minus the strap, they are easy enough to out on.

I never really had any that didn't get played and I want to be able to grab a guitar and play. My PRM has no strap but I don't plan on playing it and have hid the key to the acrylic case.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 12:03 AM

Always back in the case for me (and strapless). I don't have my house climate controlled 100% of the time, so it's just easier/safer when they're back in their cases.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 12:10 AM

I have multiple guitar stand, but I don't use it anymore for the guitars that really matter to me.
I only use it for less-important guitars.
The reason i put back my important guitars to the case is mostly because of dust.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 04:28 AM

I wouldn't put the strap inside the case with the guitar - think of all the sweat the strap absorbs, gradually corroding the metal parts.. But then, I store my guitars in a rack inside a wardrobe (to hide them from kids). At first I was a bit concerned about having them lean on the rack by the neck, so I wedged a cardboard box between the guitars and the back wall of the wardrobe, so as to support the guitars by the lower horn. I rather like the setup - naturally I'd like to ogle 'em like the next guy, but at least they don't gather dust and heat inside the wardrobe
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 08:51 AM

On the guitar I play out of the house most often, I put Dunlop strap locks on in place of the standard Ibanez strap pins.

Strap comes on and off super easy. Then I fold up the strap and stick it in the case.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 11:34 AM

never had a problem..all my ibbys have dimarzio strap locks..
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 12:13 PM

When a strap gets really old, then replace it.

Putting an electric guitar in case or on wall or stand is simply a preference as is keeping strap on or off. I have had over 60 guitars and I have used all different permutations of this.

Sure, it makes sense to always case any nice acoustic or full hollowbody archtop, but on solidbody just put it where you are happy, with or without strap.

If you have something delicate or vintage and it's a solidbody, then yes, take off strap, and put it in case. Also wipe down such a guitar after using it each time, too. Even a nice vintage reissue, like a nitro finished but otherwise perfect replica of Fender Mary Kaye which I have been keen on should always be put in case. That finish, even while on something as indestructible as a strat, has a notorious reputation for cracking and chipping and while inevitable, one like that deserves to be wiped down, unstrapped, and put in case when not in use. Also the delicate gold hardware can easily get rubbed off and corroded from underneath, so it makes sense to treat this Custom Shop Fender almost as if it was a real Mary Kaye since there are just as few as the reissues out there. For the defense of Ibanez, they have always put on a very generous and hardy layer(s) of gold when it's a gold plated set of hardware and they don't skimp on it like Fender and Gibson tend to do. When you see gold plated hardware on a Fender or Gibson and it's been in the store for a few months, you can see it wear down to base metal!

While not the case on most Ibanezes I have seen, save some really old ones, the nitro finish where a strap rubs on can damage the finish on the horns and butt end where it comes in contact with. In some weird instances, but I have only seen this on Gibson, the black or brown dyed leather on the strap can react with the finish on the guitar and cause discoloration. This can also happen with some stands and Gibsons where the nitro finish gets eaten into from the plastic or rubber on the stand. The Gibson dealer near me puts all their guitars on hanging, leather covered stands to avoid issues with nitro. The '70s Ibanezes with nitro finishes should be similarly respected against leather dye on straps and rubber and plastic covering on stands.

Anyway on any guitar, if there is any doubt then ask somebody who has either had a lot of guitars for a lot of years, or a dealer who has been through the seasons. No question is too stupid, but in the case of your Ibanez solidbody, don't worry about the strap or strap buttons too much and every now and then tighten down screws and replace straps. If you are worried about dings, you will get those if you play your guitar a lot and gig and record like I used to do.

At the end of the day, save the vintage investments though, a guitar is simply a tool to be there for you to create to express yourself. The guitar serves you and never the other way around. The icing on the cake is if you go the extra mile to get paid or to record your work but that's still not a requirement. The only requirement is to ENJOY.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 04-08-2013 at 12:22 PM.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 12:57 PM

my gig axes usually stay in the cases. Strap locks on all of them, that way I only need 1 strap. The ones I don't gig with I have laying all over the place
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 04:49 AM

Reviews: 6

since the first day I'm playing guitar: I leave the guitar strap on on ots foot, never in the case.
It shall be plug and play to enjoy playing without having to get the guitar off the case and to put the strap on...
Always ready to play for me.
I do not notice any degradation of the hardware, etc...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode