Do you think this refret is ok? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Do you think this refret is ok?

Hi.

I have received my rg1570 from a refret job. At first look, everything looked fine, but looking at the frets closer, you can see that the frets are a tiny bit higher on the fretboard in the middle, while the fret ends sit tightly on the fretboard. There is no fret buzz anywhere on the board, and the guitar plays just fine, but still I'm a bit worried about this. The new frets are stainless, so the neck will stay like this for a looong time (at least I hope..) so I feel it should be done perfectly.

What do you think? Should I keep it, or have it fixed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frets.jpg (75.8 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 02:05 PM

Reviews: 17
Re: Do you think this refret is ok?

Yup that looks about right
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

hmm.. The camera's flash might have exaggerated it a bit but this pic describes the situation better..

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 02:37 PM

The tang might have been longer than the fret slot?

The frets are like that on my RG550 from factory so it should be fine.

It plays fine right? no buzzing anywhere ?

Then there's nothing to be afraid/to complain about :P
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedabob View Post
The tang might have been longer than the fret slot?

The frets are like that on my RG550 from factory so it should be fine.

It plays fine right? no buzzing anywhere ?

Then there's nothing to be afraid/to complain about :P
No problems in practice, but... worries me about all the dirt that might pile up under the frets. and the fretboard has gained a tiny bit more radius. and since the frets are stainless steel, they might pop one day, or the sound may have been compromised because the frets are not fully seated.

or maybe just me being a bit obsessive
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 02:48 PM

Reviews: 2

it looks like your luthier pre-radiused the frets before installing them (a standard and acceptable practice). because, they're stainless they don't like to go back to flat again when installed in the board so they need a very tight fitting slot to stay down. This MAY have been your luthiers first experience with stainless and MAY have ordered the wrong size fretwire (tang not wide enough). Obviously he did a nice job of leveling and crowning or the guitar would not be playable.......... does the radius on the top of the frets match the board and the trem? did he seal the gaps with cyanoacrylate (super glue) If so I would probably leave it as/is. If not, you may want to take it back and discuss this politely......... maybe he'll have something to teach all of us.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
does the radius on the top of the frets match the board and the trem?
well, actually I do not know how to precisely measure this. the frets are tiny bit off the board, as you said they are more radiused than the fretboard. the ends sit without any gap.

Quote:
did he seal the gaps with cyanoacrylate (super glue) If so I would probably leave it as/is.
he did glue the frets in, if that is what you mean by sealing the gaps. But I can still slip a piece of paper under the frets, where they are off the board..
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 03:30 PM

I would take it back for a second look.......it is possible the frets lifted after the last time your luthier looked at it.

Look to see if the distance between the top of the frets and the bottom of the strings is equal on all 6 strings........ if the distance is smaller on the D and G strings than it is on the E's then he didn't radius the frets properly to the board and trem the radius should be 430mm (17")
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 02:25 PM

NO WAY in hell I would send a guitar back to a client like that. I would politely talk to the luthier and explain you are not satisfied with the work performed, and ask him to propose a solution. If he seems unwilling or incapable of correctly installing your frets, send the neck to me and I'll get you set up new as gold.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 03:36 PM

Reviews: 1

This is not a professional fret job!
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

I'll talk to the guy first thing tomorrow, try to find a solution. interestingly, it plays ok though... but the more I look at it, the more it feels wrong.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
NO WAY in hell I would send a guitar back to a client like that. I would politely talk to the luthier and explain you are not satisfied with the work performed, and ask him to propose a solution. If he seems unwilling or incapable of correctly installing your frets, send the neck to me and I'll get you set up new as gold.
I absolutely agree..... I just have to be nice. The last time I wasn't I pissed someone off because their "luthier" was a buddy....LOL
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I absolutely agree..... I just have to be nice. The last time I wasn't I pissed someone off because their "luthier" was a buddy....LOL
when you ask people for opinions, it is not nice to get pissed off when you do not like what you hear. this thread is ok not to be nice
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

after some inspection and discussion with my luthier, we came upon the decision that the frets have lifted later gradually. they were bent to a smaller radius and the tang or glue did not hold. he also claimed that he would not have delivered the guitar in that condition. it was his first stainless job by the way. he offered to reinsert them (using a press) using a "stronger brand" of super glue. if that doesn't work, he'll do a full refret with the frets pre-radiused exactly to the fretboard.

In your experience, do the stainless frets have a 'shape memory'? like, there will always be some tension on them, and they will want to go back to the smaller radius they were bent before they were inserted... or will they settle on the fretboard's radius, once glued and pressed nicely?
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 08:03 AM

Oh i guess I was wrong then.

but then it would not make sense that it would play fine :S Surely they couldn't all have lifted AND lifted to the same height?

Tags
refret fret stainless

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode