Dodgy neck shim? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
tTz

Dodgy neck shim?

Midway through my set up, and I decided to ask about the neck shim on my RG. I've always wondered why it was a such a wierd angle, and thought that now is the perfect time to change it if I have to. It also seems to miss the middle of the nut (looking down through the screwholes, I can see it on either side, but not the middle - you can actually see this on the pic). It's also pretty sharp and I've caught my fingers on it a good few times. I could always file it down though.

There you go. Anyone know why it's like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 11:59 AM

Re: Dodgy neck shim?

Actually, that's the brass nut shim. Just loosen the screws behind the nut and you should be able to slide it back into place. If there is a neck shim, it would be in the neck pocket area of the body, under the heel.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
tTz

Nut shim, that's what I meant! Can a mod edit the title for me? God I'm such a fool.

Is it supposed to be like that though? That's what I was looking to find out. It seems a bit of an awkward way to do it, sticking out the sides. Plus it doesn't appear, as I said, to be a rectangle, more of an irregular shape.

I suppose taking it out won't do any harm (at least, none that I can't repair), so I might move it and see what happens.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
tTz

Well, I've adjusted it so it sits flush under the nut. By the way, can the nut only go on one way around? I didn't realise one side was taller than the other when I took it off, otherwise I would have looked.

I'll see what happens when I put the strings on.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 07:22 PM

Yes it can only go one way around. The taller side faces the body.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
tTz

Yeah, I got it on fine...trem is ****ed though.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
tTz

Or possibly not...I thought the trem was beyond repair, turns out a few turns of some screws and all seems good now...just got to get around to tuning it again, and it should be ready to play! Tuning is such a nightmare though, I'm leaving it til tomorrow.

Tags
neck shim , nut shim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode