Does Ibanez neck removal require truss rod adjustment? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Does Ibanez neck removal require truss rod adjustment?

Me being pretty much an amateur (go easy on me here).

Ok so I have never ever removed the neck on my Ibanez 560. I was always taught to remove strings one at a time not all at once.

Long story short.... When removing the neck does anything need to be done with the truss rod before removing all the strings? Assume the neck is going to be off a while... i.e. a month or more. I am inclined to think the answer is no but thought I would ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 09:58 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: Does Ibanez neck removal require truss rod adjustment?

Here is how I would do it.

First of all, I don't believe it's necissary to take all the strings off individually if you are doing a quick tweak (like adding a shim), but since you are doing it for a while, you can. However, I would start by taking the trem out, with the strings attached. Start with the outer 2 springs, then the middle one, while supporting the trem, because of the force of the strings. There is a longer tutorial on this at ibanez rules. The you could use your allen wrench to loosen the string locks so the strings come out of the trem. now with the strings limp and removed from the trem, and the trem removed, you can take the neck screws off. Make sure the guitar is sitting flat with the body and neck being supported, the neck is actually heaver then the body, contrary to belief! I would also make note of which screw goes where, I believe the front and back ones are different lengths as well.

Now to answer your real question. No, It should be fine as long as when you go back you are using the same kind of strings in the same gauge. it make take a day or two for the strings and neck to settle back in right, and during that period I would actually leave the locking pad of the nut off, since you will be constantly tuning.

Maybe rich can chime in.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Actually I want to take the neck off and clean it, polish the frets, but I may leave it off for while. I already checked Rich's site but didn't see anything about making any truss rod adjustment before doing so. I was just thinking the truss rod is there to help resist the string tension and without the tension maybe it's not good to leave the truss rod adjusted as if there was string tension.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 10:24 PM

You shouldn't have to worry. If it makes you feel better, back the truss rod off a bit but you shouldn't have to.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 11:52 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

You're fine--take off all strings, remove neck, clean, re-install--all done.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 09:02 AM

Rich himself has said that for short periods of time, there is no worries about leaving the truss rod nut tight. Where you'd have to worry is storing the neck or people who store the guitar for long periods of time with no strings on it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 03:18 PM

Reviews: 13

I would not adjust the truss rod unless you need to. As has been mentioned, unless you change the gauge of the strings or adjust (or want to adjust) your action there is no need to mess with the truss rod.

-Wolfram
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 09:12 PM

Reviews: 2

sssteve: How long do you realistically think the neck will be off, and where will you be storing it while it's off. Being that you from Indiana I'm assuming your experiencing the same temp/humidity changes that I am here in Ill. If your going to remove the neck for any longer than 3-4 weeks and you'll be storing the neck in the open environment of your home, your better off backing the nut out until it's slack, then tighten it until it first makes contact with the rod. This will help keep it steady while your working on things.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 01:45 AM

Take a Sharpie pen and mark the nut, then slack it. When you put it back together, tighten the nut back to the mark.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Well at this moment, this is where I am storing it. It turned out to be a good place to keep it away from little fingers today. 1 yr old + 3 yr old = broken parts if left unattended for more than like 5 seconds. I was going to leave it off as I am planning on refinishing the guitar and I completed step one today as I wanted to clean the neck first. However, I think I will reassemble it as I won't get it done for months and likely until the spring sometime.

The neck had a bow to it and now that the strings are off I noticed it looks practically perfectly straight.

I decided not to touch the truss rod so I left it as is at the moment.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 12:30 AM

Reviews: 2

That's a great place to keep it Steve!!

Just be sure to back the nut off a little when you do decide to refinish the body. It's just a precautionary measure and it's WAY to simple to do to overlook it. You WILL NOT do any damage by backing off the tension...just don't leave it loose or you could have a fight between the rosewood and maple for control of the neck shape........kinda like your 1+3 year olds, there's no winner.......but you'll be the looser when they fight.....lol.

BTW...that one DARK piece of rosewood!! Very nice.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

It probably looks dark because I just cleaned it and polished the frets a little. Plus the lighting is a little bad in that picture.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/fi...=1#post1128781

Tags
neck , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode