Double Edge and MIDI - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Double Edge and MIDI

I do not know if this has been discussed before but since the new RG1520GK came out (with the double edge providing a 13-pin midi connection) I was wondering if there is anyway that an RG2020X or RG2120X could be adapted to provide a 13-pin connection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 09:21 AM

i looked into this a while back. LR Baggs, who made the Double Edge saddles for Ibanez, does not make any piezo to midi components. RNC makes piezos and midi preamps for installation in a guitar [the Brian Moore guitars use their hardware], so i contacted them. they were not helpful at all, giving an arrogant sales pitch about how their piezos are highly superior [but of course they don't make a piezo saddle that will fit a locking trem]. when i pushed, they said the Baggs hardware is too weak and noisy to use with their midi preamps.

theoretically, there should be a way to get midi output from the Double Edge piezos, whether the Baggs is lower output or not. the fact that an Ibanez Double Edge model comes stock with a midi output [does that GK in the model # mean they used the Roland GK2 preamp system?] shows that it is possible. i looked at schematics of the GK2a, but i didn't have the stones to spend $300 on one and then cut it up to try and hack it into my Double Edge.

if you dig around and find anything more hopeful, please post it here.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, actually the RG1520GK has the Double Edge system exclusively for MIDI functions, that is why I figured I would bring it up as it seems that someone is making a MIDI preamp for Ibanez' Double Edge trem.

Check out this link:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/guitar...g1520gkbk.html

Tags
brian moore , double edge pro , double edge trem , edge trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode