Double Edge wiring diagram needed... - Changing pickups in S - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Double Edge wiring diagram needed... - Changing pickups in S

Hi all...

* I got an S2020XAV here, and I want to change the pickups for the ToneZone/Air Norton combo...

* I bought the pickups, but when I opened the wiring cavity on the guitar, I found out that the piezo bridge adds a lot of wiring to the guitar's electronics...

* The problem is I can't find any schematics of the wiring on the internet.. I know Kevan modified this wiring for a different configuration.. Do you have the original wiring still?...

* Also, the color code on the Dimarzio vs. the Ibanez QM1/2 is different... On the Ibanez the two wires are red and white, and on the Dimarzio, I think I have to solder the white and black together, and then the green and red should be connected to the 5 way switch.. Can I assume that the red on Dimarzio is the same as the red on Ibanez...And that the white on Ibanez is the same as the green on Dimarzio?...Also, dimarzio says the green should go with the ground, but on the ibanez pickup, the ground is soldered separately from the white..

* Thanks for the help, I know it is a basic question, but it's the first time I will do a pickup installation on a guitar..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 02:18 PM

Reviews: 3
Double Edge wiring diagram needed...

Your 2020 has that pickup selector with about 40 different end pieces on it? *Looks like something out of a computer right?

Ibanez discontinued those right away, I guess they didn't work very well. *You can get a wiring diagram from Ibanez... I got one and they wrote "Good luck!!!" on it. *No joke. *I would highly recomend replacing the switch. *It's not a standard size, but I am pretty certain any other switch can work in it's place without routing.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

The switch is the model VLX91 if I remember right....There are about 24 contacts on *it...

I don't think changing the switch is necessary cuz it works fine as it is and also I dont want to change the switch configuration, so basically I should just have to solder the wires at the same place as the current ones...What I would ideally need to know is which wire corresponds to which wire on the Dimarzio...

The way I see it right now, I think it should be as follow:

Ibanez (QM pu's) red wire = Dimarzio red
Ibanez white wire = Dimarzio White and Black together
Ibanez ground (bare) = DM Green and Bare together..

Please correct me if I am wrong, but this would be for the bridge pickup...I am not sure if the neck uses the same...

Also, one last question.... When physically mounting the PUs, on which side should the polepiece be.. For example, on the bridge puckup, should *the polepieces or the screws be closer to the bridge?...

Thanks for all the help you can provide....
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 12:38 AM

Armadillo- I have both sets of wiring diagrams (original from Hoshino, and the KJG Modification). *Email me with a fax number and I'll get the Double Edge stuff to you.

I'll see if I can dig up the Ibanez QM & V-series wiring stuff too.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Kevan, This should help a lot.... I just sent you my fax number by e-mail....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 05:01 PM

Armadillo,

What you surmised a few messages up the list is correct.

This is the proper wiring for DiMarzio 4-conductor pickups.

This will allow the switch to select the proper coil(s) as it does with the stock pickup.

Ibanez (QM pu's) red wire = Dimarzio red
Ibanez white wire = Dimarzio White and Black together
Ibanez ground (bare) = DM Green and Bare together..
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks ryan, I will try that.. It is just that I thought the neck pickup might be wired differently because the switching on the Double Edge guitar is not the same for the bridge and the neck P/U. I guess I'll have to experiment a bit....

Also, a special thank you to Kevan who sent me the original piezo wiring from Hoshino. Once I figure how the mag pickup is wired, I will produce a complete wiring diagram of the guitar with the original pickups and with Dimarzios.. This way, everyone will be able to use it if they want to modify their guitars...

Hugues

Tags
air norton , air norton combo , bridge pickup , neck pickup , pickup installation , piezo bridge , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode