Dunlop vs. Jescar vs. Warmoth Frets - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Dunlop vs. Jescar vs. Warmoth Frets

Hey there guys, I have an Ibanez that needs re-fretting and I already have a guitar with 6000 gauge fret wire which I absolutely love. I already dig scalloped guitars and so the 6000 gauge is for me. However............ I know that Dunlop frets aren't exactly the longest wearing frets out there and as much as I would like stainless steel most luthiers are not willing to fit them because it wrecks their tools.

I have heard ideas thrown around the internet that Jescar gold lasts as long as stainless steel but doesn't wreck tools. Their FW57110 model frets seem to be the tallest, what are people's experiences with these compared to the Dunlop 6000's?

I have also heard that Warmoth frets are better than Dunlop's but can't seem to find too much information.

Jescar - 57110 18% NS - SS - EVO .110 .057 .20
Dunlop - 6000 18% NS .118 .058 .021

I know the numbers seem obvious with the height and width being smaller on the Jescar's by 0.001 in both dimensions. But I wanted to be utterly sure about difference in feel, I don't have a ton of cash and obviously don't want to make a decision I will regret.

Any input and experience would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Ian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 10:22 AM

Re: Dunlop vs. Jescar vs. Warmoth Frets

The gold stuff isn't QUITE as hard as SS, which is why it doesn't hurt tools, but it is appreciably harder than nickel silver.

As for the difference in feel, I doubt there would be much. You lose probably a little more material than that every time you have a fret level, so I'd say its a non-issue, unless you've found your guitars frets feel staggeringly different (in a bad way) every time they're serviced.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 05:41 AM

Re: Dunlop vs. Jescar vs. Warmoth Frets

I've installed both the Dunlop #6000 and the Jescar FW57110 NS (not gold) and I really like the Jescar, even though it's slightly narrower. It wears no better than the Dunlop though - but I know you aren't wondering about the NS versions wear.

Actually, the fret width of the Dunlop is .118" and on the Jescar it is .110". (The .020"/.021" number is the tangs width.) So the frets width is quite different. The Jescar FW57110 is like a Dunlop #6100 in that regard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode