Dying switches. - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Gex

Dying switches.

I have a 1987 RG550 and a 1992 RG550

(if things go right, I should have another 1990 RG550 on sunday! but thats another story, nevermind)

The switches are dying on both of them. They make crackly noises, I loose output all the time.

So, I think its time to get some new ones in there.

Will standard Fender 5 way switches work? (are the mounting screws the same width?)

What is a really good brand of switch that I can put in there and have it never crap out on me again (for a very long time)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 12:15 AM

Re: Dying switches.

stewart macdonald sells some nice mega switches if your going to do wiring options
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 12:33 AM

I've always used the fender 5 way switches in my Ibanezes (S540 LTD and RG3120) withough any issues
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 12:54 AM

If you're going to change the switch anyway then maybe it's time to try out some new pickup wiring options. Dimarzio makes a multi-pole switch which is capable of all sorts of interesting ideas.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid
I've always used the fender 5 way switches in my Ibanezes (S540 LTD and RG3120) withough any issues
me to
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Gex

Hey, I dug up this thread again.

How often do switches actually go BAD? I've been looking over some pictures on my computer, (as sort of a hobby, I save pictures on my computer of RG's and JEMS) and all of them seem to have the stock switch, or what appears to be the stock switch.

I got some CRL switches which are very nice, but the screws are too fat. I dont wanna carve up my pickguard for a sloppy retrofit, I want a DIRECT replacement.

So. . .is there a good switch that is good quality like the CRL (with the round design rather than the black plastic import box switches) but the screws are to import size specs? (does what I'm saying make ANY sense?)

Is it possible that my switches are simply dirty? or possibly sloppily soldered? Has anyone had a similar problem, I'm trying to figure out how to fix this without running in circles.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 08:03 PM

I think the older ibanez 5-ways were far better than they are today.

I don't think its a matter of how often they go bad, but rather how often are you switching it and how hard you switch. I'm sure Vai has his changed all the time.

Tags
pickup wiring , pole switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode