E-string too close to the fretboardedge - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Question E-string too close to the fretboardedge

The e-string on the bass side is very close to the edge and is prone to slide off the board if I'm not very careful when fretting. Is it possible to loosen the neck, yank it a bit to the right and fasten it again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 12:29 PM

Re: E-string too close to the fretboardedge

yes bro you can do that but be careful ok!- & if that don't work see a guitar tech to find a way on how best to fix the problem, you didn't say what type of guitar?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

It's a PGM 100.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 02:54 AM

My guess is that the trem isn't centered properly, I've seen that with the TRS models. Those are DAMN nice guitars too. The only thing that kept me from buying one was the trem.

Mike
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 08:44 AM

Yes could be the trem post or even the trem knife edges. I've this happen with a bent post, post threads had moved in the body and also the knife edges can move.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

It's an Edge and it seems to be correctly centered, at least according to the routing.
Here's some pics. Actually its not as bad as it looks at the pic. I guess it's the photoangle, but you get the idea.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 08:58 AM

Hi StTan

I had a similar problem with an RG550....although in my case it was the high E that was close to the fretboard edge.

I removed the neck completely, during a spring-time clean, and checked the neck pocket. Upon putting the neck back on I inserted a thin shim between the body on the bass side and the neck itself.....while I was putting the neck back in place I applied a little pressure to the edge of the neck....obviously from the bass side to the treble side in my case but opposite in yours.

This all meant that when everything was tuned up and good to go the alignment was improved ten fold. It could maybe do with a slightly thicker shim to be perfect but it play just fine and has improved it no end.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Steve
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 10:54 AM
rgr

The trem looks kinda off in the pic, but it may be the angle. Yes, you can loosen the screws some, don't loosen them all the way, and shift the neck. It's a common thing to do on bolt-on guitars, an old guitar tech friend of mine showed me many moons ago.

Roger
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr
The trem looks kinda off in the pic, but it may be the angle. Yes, you can loosen the screws some, don't loosen them all the way, and shift the neck. It's a common thing to do on bolt-on guitars, an old guitar tech friend of mine showed me many moons ago.

Roger

Yes you can do that. The EBMM EVH model that I have is notorius for the E string slipping off the fretboard and my guitar tech did the same thing (as above) and hasn't slipped off once since it's been done............
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 11:13 PM

Wink Re: E-string too close to the fretboardedge

it's a neck problem looking at the pictures you posted, the neck is about 3mm out to the top horn of the guitar, just look at the pickup mounting ring to the bottom of the neck you can see how far it's out there, noway a trem problem there bro, the trem sits fine from what i can see, your lucky bro its easy to fix it! Very Nice PGM i bet it sounds good to!
Cheers- Jake.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Right Jake. I saw the misfit when you pointed it out. Did the 'yanking' and problem, if not totally solved, at least much better. Thanx all for the info.

Tags
ebmm evh , guitar tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode